send on behalf, not using primarysmtpaddress in FROM

Iron Contributor

we have some o365 groups with primarysmtp xyz@group.domain.com, when a mail is sent on behalf of that group, for example by teams, the primary smtp domain of the group is not used, instead xyz@domain.com is used in the FROM:  even though this smtp address is not specified in any mail related attribute.

is there some way to correct this? why does this happen? we have a requirement that these groups are correctly identified.

4 Replies

You cannot send outgoing messages from Teams, so I'm assuming you are talking about some system-generated ones? In that case, best open a support case, as it's probably something Microsoft needs to address on the backend/in code.

@Vasil Michev 

I have came across this issue. This setting is in Teams and the email address used by sender is the MS Team unique id.

This could not be changed.

@Vasil Michev @Ashkb 

When you create a meeting in Teams, via the Teams calendar and then add a channel, the meeting request is sent on behalf of the user from the o365 group.

The o365 group SMTP address is used in the FROM: field, however the primary SMTP address of the group is not used, in fact the SMTP address which is used does not exist.

so for example : a meeting created in the XYZ team, where the o365 group primary SMTP address=xzy@group.domain.com,

the invite comes from xyz@domain.com this SMTP address does not exist and this is not correct, it should be xyz@group.domain.com

Agreed, this is not the expected behavior, Teams should use the corresponding group address. Open a support case and report this, and I'll try pinging few folks.