Send-as and Send-on-behalf of for groups in Outlook

Former Employee

Today, The Exchange Team is excited to announce the ‘Send-as’ and Send-on-behalf of feature for groups in Outlook, which brings you one step closer to turning your email into a great customer support solution.

With the new ‘Send as’ and ‘Send on behalf of’ feature, members of the group can respond to conversations using the shared identity of the Group instead of their individual personal identity – without losing the personal, individual touch. Because sometimes, that’s just what you need.

Get more details on The Exchange Team blog.

Exchange 01_24_3.JPG

12 Replies

How is it supposed to work?

Following the instructions in the blog I have given "Send As" permission to a member of the group , but I cannot find how he can respond to a conversation in OWA using the shared identity of the Group instead of his individual personal identity.

cc @Vasil Michev

In OWA you need to select the option to show the From field, click on your address, remove it and type the address you want to send as/send on behalf of.

Thanks for your answer, Vasil.

Unfortunately it appears to work in OWA when sending an email or responding to an email, but not when initiating or responding to a conversation in the conversation area of an Office 365 Group in OWA: am I missing something?

"Office 365 Group members who have been granted send-as or send-on-behalf-of permissions, can send email as or on-behalf-of the group from within the group space in Outlook." from https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/home?switchtomodern=true#/MessageCenter?id=MC91725

In the Group page, press the small arrow below the compose box. Then follow the same procedure to remove your address and add the Group one.

In the Group page, press the small arrow below the compose box. Then follow the same procedure to remove your address and add the Group one.

sendasgroup.png

Awesome!

Thank you very much Vasil!

(I knew in advance that you had the right answer, as usual...)

P.S. It doesn't work in Outlook 2016 desktop, correct?

You shouldnt have any trouble with Outlook, that functionality has been available there for months now.

OK. I was not able to do it in Outlook, but the issue was actually a corrupted OAB.

Now I have recreated the OAB and everything works smoothly both in OWA and Outlook desktop.

Thanks Vasil.

Thanks, removing and manually typing the from address is the solution. I had the expectation when using the selection box at the 'from' field the group from email address would be an option to choose from.

If I send an email (not a reply) using On Behalf or Send As, should I expect the originating NEW email to be in the Office 365 Group?  I do not see email (not a reply) sent FROM group email address show in the Group box.

Dan,

to see "email (not a reply) sent FROM group email address show in the Group box"

you have to use an Outlook add-in named BCCtoGroup, otherwise the sent message is placed only to your personal Sent items folder. 

Best regards.

Victor Ivanidze

Thank you for this explanation.

Follow-up question...
Where will the replied (sent) e-mails be stored in comparison based on if a team member is set as Send-as versus Send-on-behalf of a Microsoft 365 group?
Can every team member easily see that an e-mail has been replied and also the actual e-mail?

Thank you very much in advance!