May 29 2020 08:37 AM
May 29 2020 08:37 AM
I have a user who tells me search isn't working in Outlook 2016.
They go into the inbox and start a search for a user by typing in their surname and the error is “Something went wrong and your search couldn’t be completed.”
This is OK at one level. It looks like indexing and possibly a broken Windows Search. Maybe look at fixing the service or look at making sure the June 2017 security updates have been applied.
I could live with this and look at the client side. However, in troubleshooting the issue I wanted to see if web based Outlook would provide a workaround for the user. They tried the same search on the web, just typing a surname into the search bar, and the error "Your request can't be completed right now. Please try again later." appeared.
My understanding was that Outlook desktop search depending on the Windows OS and Outlook on the web used a totally different web based search.
Now I am a little confused. I expected the web based search to work. Are these two different problems at exactly the same time? Is web based search somehow using a DLL or function on the PC browser that might lead to this issue?
I would be interested as to any thoughts on this. In particular is there a good documentation link about how Microsoft search works in Office 365 web based mail.
Jun 01 2020 10:48 PM - edited Jun 01 2020 10:51 PM
Jun 02 2020 06:08 AM
Thanks. Its not OWA (I guess you mean the traditional light version) it's the Outlook web based O365 mail.
I needed some place to start and figure this out so I will go and read the links.
Jun 02 2020 06:50 AM
Jun 02 2020 09:05 AMSolution
It made no sense to me that both Outlook desktop search and Outlook web search were broken. The two are different. One using Windows and one using the web services.
One thing did connect them. The mailbox. Potentially the mailbox was broken in some form. I decided to move the mailbox between servers with the new-moverequest cmdlet. After waiting a while for it to complete the user could suddenly use both searches.
I don't have a full explanation for this just that it was a way for me to make sure that the problem wasn't on the database on O365 in an easy way without raising a Microsoft incident.
This is really just to document this worked because I don't like going to forums where how it was fixed is not documented.
Apr 27 2022 05:47 AM
How did you do that exactly? Officially it is not supported to move between cloud servers, what was the exact command line that you have used? I have the same problem, and did not want to include Microsoft, and it is really annoying, I can't find anything but this.
Really appreciate your help!
Apr 27 2022 07:14 AM
The difference is that on-prem you specify a destination for the mailbox. In the cloud the move request happens but to whatever server Microsoft choose.
You can validate the move afterwards by comparing the database name and the server has changed.
Apr 28 2022 02:01 AM - edited Apr 28 2022 02:01 AM
Thanks, I have given the the command without -TargetDatabase (because that is not even a parameter that exists), and it seems like it is doing something right now (if i check it with get-mailbox i can't see the change, but if i enter the command:
New-MoveRequest -Identity firstname.lastname@example.org
Then I get the following error:
Mailbox 'username' is already being moved to 'EURP191DG002-db022'.
Where I can see the target database is different from the:
Get-Mailbox -Identity email@example.com results.
I hope it works after it is done with the moving.
Apr 28 2022 02:32 AM