Retrieving deleted email

Copper Contributor

One of our employees deleted her email and when looking in the deleted folder, nothing is there.  Went to try and get them off the server, but again nothing.  Is there any backup is done by Office 365?  Is ther a way to restore emails from a month ago to present?

Mike

5 Replies

@ChristianBergstrom

Thanks for the response.  I am only a little familiar with PowerShell but was able to get connected to an Excange Mailbox.  But when I try to  recover email using Get-RecoverableItems, the following msg is issued.:

Get-RecoverableItems : The term 'Get-RecoverableItems' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,
script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-RecoverableItems : The term 'Get-RecoverableItems' is not recogni ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-RecoverableItems:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

What am I not doing?  What am I missing?

In the meantime,  I looked around is the EAC for Office.   If I click on a user, mailbox, options come up  and one of them is Recover Deleted mail.  When I did  it, a msg says that there was 50 items recoverd but I could not find where they went.  Any Ideas?

Thank You,

Mike

@Mike Jackura in the new Exchange Admin Center (https://admin.exchange.microsoft.com/) you can recover deleted items in the UI. The maximum single item retention is 30 days, default (if you didn't change it) is 14 days. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients-in-exchange-online/manage-user-mailboxes/change...

So if you didn't change it to 30 days or have a hold on the mailbox (in-place hold) then the email will be lost and won't be recoverable through Microsoft either.

Yeah, the info is in the above link as well but good to point it out.

@ChristianBergstrom sorry, I overlooked your answer and postet the same link twice.