SOLVED

Rename category greyed out for mailbox delegate

Brass Contributor

Hi

I have an issue with a user who came to me and said she could not rename a category in a calendar. After looking at this the user was a delegate to a shared mailbox in Exchange Online. She had full access at mailbox level. 

On a different tenant I used my own account as an administrator and found in a shared mailbox I could rename categories. I gave myself access to her shared mailbox and found I couldn't rename categories. In both cases I have got Full Access at mailbox level. She has full access at mailbox level.

I consulted Microsoft documentation. I found this link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/918717/you-cannot-change-a-user-s-categories-when-you-work-....

The summary seems to be you need "editor" permission in a calendar to edit categories. 

So is this right if a delegate has Full Access at mailbox level. I can't quite get my head around the idea that editor would be giving her lower permission in calendar than the rest of the mailbox. 

I also can't explain why my test tenant seemed fine with just full access. 

Before I go back and set her up as "Editor" I really want to understand what is happening here and I would be grateful if anyone can expand on Microsoft's support documentation.

Thank you.

Stephen 

3 Replies

Full access grants you higher set of permissions compared to Editor, so this shouldnt be the case. My bet would be it's because you have the mailbox automapped or the calendar added from the "open another calendar" menu - in such cases only a limited subset of Outlook functionalities will be exposed. Instead, add the shared mailbox as additional account (via File -> Add Account -> enter the shared mailbox address -> enter your credentials when prompted).

@Vasil Michev I will take a look. Although I would be a little surprised. In Exchange Online the shared mailboxes are unlicensed so logging onto them as a mailbox would seem the same as "Open another mailbox" from the web. We tried that and it didn't help. Just my thought. 

My own test tenant worked fine with automapping so again I am not sure. However, at this point I don't dismiss anything.

best response confirmed by stephen_dxc122 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@stephen_dxc122 

Just to let people know. It turns out the article means shared personal mailboxes not shared (ie multiuser) mailboxes. Microsoft confirmed this via a case I raised. 

I hope they make that more explicit in the support article. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by stephen_dxc122 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@stephen_dxc122 

Just to let people know. It turns out the article means shared personal mailboxes not shared (ie multiuser) mailboxes. Microsoft confirmed this via a case I raised. 

I hope they make that more explicit in the support article. 

View solution in original post