Remove Personal Retention Tag from Outlook Folder

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

i hope you can help me :)

I am currently playing around with the Exchange Online archive and retention policies or personal retention tags.

Unfortunately we don't have an official email lifecycle and want to offer the Exchange Online Archive as an alternative for PST files.

To automatically push emails into the archive like PST files (AutoArchivng). We want to provide the users with personal tags in a retention policy.

This also works perfectly, in the user role we have deactivated MyRetentionPolices and made the personal tags in the assigned retention policy. The archiving tags are also automatically visible in Outlook desktop and Outlook for the web.

Assigning and changing the Personal Tags works great, when I call EXOMailboxFolderStatistics -Identity $user |ft Name, ArchivePolicy, I also see the assigned tags and also when changing, I see the change very quickly.

My question:

How can the user remove a tag again? The only possibility I see is "Use Parent Folder", but this gives no change when I call EXOMailboxFolderStatisics, not even after Start-ManagedFolderAssistant, do I understand something wrong here or should/must the user then select "Never Move to Archive"?

best regards

2 Replies
If you want a "never move to archive" option, you have to push a corresponding personal tag (with action set to archive, duration to never).

I have a 3 month move to archive retention policy from primary mailbox to online archive. but at the same time I also have personal tag which retain the item for 1 year to archive. I need to remove the personal tag. Please share the steps in details@Vasil Michev