SOLVED

"New-TransportRule -FromMemberOf" fails because object can't be found

Iron Contributor

I'm trying to create a transport rule (Exchange Online) to add an image to outgoing emails where the send is a member of a certain group.

I've created the group in AD and performed a delta sync to AAD. I've verified that the group was successfully synced.

Is this possibly a timing issue within Office 365?

Here's the full error:

Couldn't find object "Transport Rule - Banner Type 1". Please make sure that it was spelled correctly or specify a different object.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (FromMemberOf:String) [New-TransportRule], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=CY4PR08MB2741,RequestId=79473b50-adad-4cc6-9bfa-cc8f909765ec,TimeStamp=12/23/2016 7:08:57 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] 2B4C0 
   A88,Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.NewTransportRule
    + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com

(That's funny. Looks like this forum's emoji parser could use a little TLC.) 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

The group needs to be 'recognizable' by Exchange. You cannot use a regular security group, it needs to be mail-enabled. Or a simple distributiongroup. In other words, it should appear in the list you get with Get-Group or Get-Recipient.

Thank you. That did it.

On my Exchange server:
PS> Enable-DistributionGroup -Identity $GroupToMailEnable
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

The group needs to be 'recognizable' by Exchange. You cannot use a regular security group, it needs to be mail-enabled. Or a simple distributiongroup. In other words, it should appear in the list you get with Get-Group or Get-Recipient.

View solution in original post