SOLVED

Public folders migration from Exchange 2013 OnPrem to EXO - Hybrid Approach

MVP

Dear all,

I'm not an Exchange Expert so I would like to have your inputs in regards of recommendations to migrate Exchange 2013 Public Folders to EXO using the Hybrid approach cc @Vasil Michev @Tony Redmond @Paul Cunningham

4 Replies

The important thing to remember is that even in a hybrid deployment, public folders can only exist in one place. Or rather, users can either access on-premises PFs or cloud PFs, but they cannot access folders in both places. So you have to make a choice where to host the PFs. My vote is in the cloud, but others prefer on-premises...

Thanks Tony,
This part is clear to me and I have found TechNet doc in regards about configurations to be done depending on where you want to have your public folders...so assuming in this scenario I would move PF from OnPrem to EXO: what's the best way to do it? According to my readings, Microsoft does not provide a way to move PF from Exchange 2013 to EXO so you need to rely on third party migration tools...is that correct?
best response confirmed by Juan Carlos González Martín (MVP)
Solution

If you have either old-style or modern PFs on Exchange 2013/2016, you can use the Microsoft tools to move them to EXO. See https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/03/20/announcing-the-availability-of-modern-public... for the latest on this topic.

You use third-party tools when you a) want more control or flexibility with the migration (Binary Tree E2E Complete allows this) or b) you want to move PFs to non-PF destinations. Given the range of collaboration modalities available in Office 365, a good case can be made to move data out of PFs to shared mailboxes or Office 365 Groups. QUADROtech's ADAM tool will do that for you (http://www.quadrotech-it.com/products/adam/). QUADROtech also offers a free analysis tool that you can run against a PF hierarchy to understand what data is actually present (and more importantly, is used) to help decide the best destination for PFs.

TR

Thanks Tony, that's exactly what I was looking for!