PowerShell cmdlet/parameter combinations are unsuccessful in Exchange Server 2016

Copper Contributor

Hello All, I notice this weird error from Exchange powershell while running this cmdlet:-

Get-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration -Identity "user@contoso.com"

Error:-

Error on proxy command 'Get-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration -Identity:'user@contoso.com'' to server Ex01.corp.contoso.com: Server version
15.01.1713.0000, Proxy method RPS:
The operation couldn't be performed because object 'Ex02.corp@contoso.com' couldn't be found on 'ADcorp.france.contoso.com'..
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration], CmdletProxyException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.CmdletProxyException,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.StoreTasks.GetMailboxJunkEmailConfiguration

The following correctly applies to my Exchange environment:-

• Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 environment that contains two or more mailbox servers.
  • Active Directory Forest contains two or more domains.
  • Exchange Servers and user objects are located in different Active Directory domains.
  • I manage recipients through Exchange Management Shell (EMS) by setting “Set-ADServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $true”.

I found this article - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4295103/powershell-cmdlet-parameter-combinations-don-t-work...

For this issue, User is located in a different AD forest than my admin account, also I am running the command from a different Exchange server than the one user mailbox is in. I have full admin rights and all necessary admin roles, organizational management,..etc no issues. I usually use Set-ADServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $true” to manage these user objects. 

For this issue, when i specify the AD server that user object resides with parameter -DomainController (Get-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration -Identity "user@contoso.com" -domaincontroller ADcorp.spain.contoso.com) it works well. But when I don't, I have this error, and what is weird is that I am getting this error only for this particular cmdlet  "GetMailboxJunkEmailConfiguration"  and perhaps others listed in above article. 

If I do any other command, e.g get-mailbox, get-calendarprocessing etc, I don't need to specify the -DomainController and it works fine without errors.

It's very strange, I dont know if anyone else have faced this issue, why its only happening to certain cmdlets in Exchange 2013/2016? There doesn't seem to be much info about it apart from that article above saying to use the -domaincontroller as workaround. 

1 Reply
Hello Josh U,

It could be that you are looking for this piece of information, you will need to specify the -ReadFromDomainController instead of the normal -Domaincontroller parameter.

The ReadFromDomainController switch specifies that information should be read from a domain controller in the user's domain. If you run the command Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $true to include all objects in the forest and you don't use the ReadFromDomainController switch, it's possible that information will be read from a global catalog that has outdated information.