Outlook <-> Exchange Protocols

Steel Contributor

During Ignite I saw a presentation that suggested Outlook was moving to a new communication protocol "Hx" from the current REST API method (Mobile) and MAPI/HTTP (Desktop)

I was surprised to hear that migration was going to begin at the end of this year.

Does anyone know where to find more information about this new protocol?  Like what builds of Outlook are needed, how to tell when you are using it etc.  Some of the benefits like improved sync are appealing (assuming it works).

Hx.PNG

25 Replies

I'm familiar with what I wrote. :)

Today, we support 5 different data sync protocols (EAS, EWS, REST, MAPI/HTTP, native sync technology), or 6 if you include the deprecated RPC/HTTP protocol.

The first three (likewise for RPC/HTTP) are available for third-parties to consume, which means development on those stacks has to be well thought out as changes have a broad impact across the ecosystem (just like changes in RPC was hard due to RPC being used by everything in the Windows stack).

MAPI/HTTP and the native sync technology are proprietary protocols that are only available to Outlook (and are owned by Exchange/Outlook). There are many features that exist in Outlook desktop, that today, don't exist in the other platforms (e.g., sensitive labeling). By consolidating Mac and mobile clients to a single data sync protocol, we will be able to innovate faster and bring desired features to those platforms. Likewise, we'll continue innovating in Outlook desktop and MAPI (which is a well-established protocol for Outlook desktop, spanning a 20 year history).

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just wanted to check whether new communication protocol "Hx" is supported by Intune email profile deployment. Also, can this protocol be used by Windows native Mail client?
So with Activesync deprecated and no new functionality being added for it what will 3rd party clients do to support some of the newer features being added into this native sync technology? An example is being unable to sync the "Other" category for a contact which is unsupported by AS but is supported via this new sync protocol that Outlook mobile uses.

@Daniel Ochoa Exchange ActiveSync is still a licensed protocol for use by OEMs and others. I don't recall seeing any deprecation announcements. Outlook will continue to invest in its own protocol to provide enhancements, some of which are simply not possible with what exists in ActiveSync today (e.g., ActiveSync doesn't support permission models, which is why it cannot provide shared/delegate mailbox/calendar access).

@Ross Smith IV so is it Microsoft's position that these sorts of feature enhancements will not be available or supported using third-party clients? 

@iragsdale Not every scenario/feature is supported in every data sync protocol or client.