Outlook/EXO + distribution groups

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

one of my users has issues with "Distribution Groups" in Outlook.

Description of error:

"changes to the public group membership cannot be saved. you do not have sufficient permissions to perform this operation on this object" (see attached picture)

Short summary:

1.) user who wants to modify DL is an on-prem user synced to the cloud;

2.) DL she is trying to modify is cloud-only;

3.) she is the owner of the DL she is trying to modify;

4.) the user is having Outlook 2016 with an E3 license on her laptop.

Questions I've asked to the user:

My questions to the user over Teams:
1.) Is this the 1st time this kind of issue happened to you?
2.) when did the issue start to happen?
3.) is issue showing up only in the desktop version or owa also?
4.) were you able to configure DL previously without any issues?

Her answers:

1) yes, but I think I had a similar issue on another DL this week which got resolved by itself
​2) I did not try to remove any user for some weeks (4-6 weeks maybe) but I was able to add someone about 3 weeks ago. I didn't try to edit the DL since
​3) it is on the desktop version - I will try in the OWA version;
​4) I never had any issue and I've been the owner of that dl for years now!

Some of my tests:

1.) I've added myself as the owner of DL:

result: users who reported issue & I are able to modify (add/remove) DL from Outlook on the web.

For the Outlook desktop version, the issue is still showing for both of us.

2.) added me through "EXO admin center -> admin roles (one of the roles is Distribution Group role) -> issue still shows in Outlook (desktop);

3.) followed article, potential causes/solutions on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/contacts/cannot-manage-distribution-group-exch...

Case 4: PS Cmdlet hasn't shown any issues

My questions:

1.) what is the potential cause of this issue?

2.) what else should I check in this case?

3.) what is the solution? I mean it works in OWA, but not in the desktop version.

I want to know why.

Kind regards,

Dino

3 Replies

That's a very well known issue, and you've already found the solution - use OWA to make changes to DG memebership.

Hi,
tnx for the reply.
can you elaborate on your answer? maybe some links to articles? I know the user will demand it :D
I wasn't aware that this is a known issue either. The known behavior I know if is when the Distribution Group is synced from on-premises and in that case you can't make changes to memberships through any client, including OWA.

Going to do some testing and researching on this one, because I've had the understanding that if your users want to be able to manage group memberships through Outlook/OWA in EXO, the groups need to be authored in the cloud. There are scripts in TechNet Gallery for deleting all on-premises DG's and recreating them in the cloud, for this reason solely.

But if it only half works I'll stop ever recommending to move the groups to the cloud (i.e. recreate in cloud).