On Prem Exchange 2016 Installation Failure

Copper Contributor

I am trying to setup a new Exchange 2016 instance on Windows Server 2016, however the installation fails on setting up the Mailbox Service. Before running the installation I have prepared AD, allowed for replication and installed all the required Window components, .Net Framework 4.8, Visual C++ Redstributable for Visual Studio 2012/13 and UCMA 4.0 runtime as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/prerequisites?view=exchserver-2016

The error that shows in the Setup log is showing:

Upgrade the discovery mailboxes to R5 version, this will fix the RecipientDisplayType property of the discovery mailbox which was wrong in R4.

get-mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails DiscoveryMailbox -DomainController $RoleDomainController | where {$_.IsValid -eq $false} | set-mailbox -DomainController $RoleDomainController
$name =
[Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.EnableMailbox]::DiscoveryMailboxUniqueName;
$dispname = [Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.EnableMailbox]::DiscoveryMailboxDisplayName;
$mbxs = @(
get-mailbox -Filter {name -eq $name} -IgnoreDefaultScope -resultSize 1 );
if ( $mbxs.length -eq 0)
{
$dbs = @(get-MailboxDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -DomainController $RoleDomainController);

if($dbs.Length -ne 0)
{
$mbxUser = @(get-user -Filter {name -eq $name} -IgnoreDefaultScope -ResultSize 1);
if ($mbxUser.Length -ne 0)
{
enable-mailbox -Discovery -identity $mbxUser[0] -DisplayName
$dispname -database $dbs[0].Identity;
}
}
}
}
else
{
write-exchangesetuplog -info "Skipping creating Discovery Search Mailbox because of insufficient permission."

I have confirmed that the Arbitration mailboxes our within the AD environment and the account that the setup was ran with was part of Domain, Enterprise and Schema admin groups.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction of resolving this error as I have tried everything I can possibly think of.

2 Replies
The "insufficient permissions" error at the end makes me suspect that your account may not be a member of a needed Exchange Server RBAC permission group. Is your account an Org Admin in Exchange?

@rjc8703 

Please check the HomeMDB attribute for the arbitration mailbox. if it is empty - copy/paste the value of database from a working mailbox. this should fix the issue.

this has fixed for me with exchange 2010,13,16 versions.