SOLVED

O365 Exchange Admin For Restriction of Offline Email Access from Outlook

Iron Contributor

Hello Exchange Fans,

Let me ask one query which comes directly from Customer's end about the Admin Settings as I am aware that if we block Exchange Active Sync then people from Outlook App will not be able to access the mails whether be in the Organisation or leaving the Organisation. But suppose if an employee left the Organisation and still he/she is able to access the mails from his/her native apps then it's a wrong idea.

How we can restrict them(Don't involve Conditional access as customer is on Plain O365 not looking for MDM) or how we can give offline email access to end users only for limited days! How can we set the same any document for reference will be grateful!!

4 Replies

@Mitul Sinha >>But suppose if an employee left the Organisation and still he/she is able to access the mails from his/her native apps <<

If an employee leaves, you block sign in to the account. They won't be able to get new mail within 60 min. If you want to remove access to already cached mail, you need to wipe the account from their device. 

2019-06-03_8-19-03.png

That's correct and but if we are handling the AD User then we need to block it from Active Directory in case if it is synced with AAD Connect then we can proceed with the above screenshot!!

But suppose we want to set the time period of Offline access for every user's outlook client app. Is it possible to set the same? If yes do we have any relevant document for that?
best response confirmed by Mitul Sinha (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi Mitul,

AFAIK, there isn’t a setting for time based access (I.e. only allow access during specific times of the day, certain number of days) within the standard Office 365 offers or native functionality.

There is a uservoice open for it here

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/13877862-allow-for-settin...

However, it’s been open for literally years and has not been picked up. I would usually say vote for these but it doesn’t look a priority right now.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris
If we look into EM+S side then yes we can do this restrictions from Email Profiles using App configurations but for Mobile users the answer is always no if customer is using plain O365!!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mitul Sinha (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi Mitul,

AFAIK, there isn’t a setting for time based access (I.e. only allow access during specific times of the day, certain number of days) within the standard Office 365 offers or native functionality.

There is a uservoice open for it here

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/13877862-allow-for-settin...

However, it’s been open for literally years and has not been picked up. I would usually say vote for these but it doesn’t look a priority right now.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post