Need a confirmation

Copper Contributor

We have applied license to all shared mailboxes , part of the hold . And ,verified all inactive mailboxes are part of the retention policy.

Few still left ,which we will be putting in policy soon.

Need to confirm on inactive mailbox-

-If we remove from In-place hold while being part of retention policy ,will it still retain the data. And ,there will not be any data loss of such mailboxes.

Since they are deleted ,and can’t be licensed now.

-Once we ensure all mailboxes currently in a In-place hold policy “LegalHold” are part of one or the other “O365 Retention Policy” ,it’s safe to disable the complete hold to free all users from it.

And 

Do we have any powershell commandlet to remove a in-place hold for a individual user?

3 Replies
As long as the mailbox is on any type of hold that retains data, you should be fine.
I am removing the inplace hold but I have retention policy applied if I remove the hold will the data be retained?
The inactive mailbox is already added in retention policy. We just have to remove them from hold.

-If we remove from In-place hold while being part of retention policy ,will it still retain the data. And ,there will not be any data loss of such mailboxes.

Since they are deleted ,and can’t be licensed now.

-Once we ensure all mailboxes currently in In-place hold policy “LegalHold” are part of one or the other “O365 Retention Policy” ,it’s safe to disable the complete hold to free all users from it