Moving Exchange 2010 SP3 from Server 2008R2 to new Server 2019 VM

Copper Contributor

I know, lots going on in that title, so here we go.

We're a small shop of <100 people and a few physical servers (DC the only 2012 server. Everything else still 2008r2). We are getting ready to pull the trigger on a hardware refresh for our entire infrastructure moving almost entirely to virtualized environment. My plan is to first get the new 2019 DC stood up correctly, then tackle the rest. Exchange is one of those pieces.

We have EXC 2010 SP3 running on Server 2008r2 in a hybrid environment where on-prem is almost only for management (a couple of local mailboxes for things like network scanner and such that I'm working to move online). All regular user mailboxes are in Exchange Online. My goal is to setup the new EXC server in a Server 2019 VM, then install Exchange (2016? 2019?) and migrate/move mailboxes and settings from the old box to the new VM.

Of course, that brings a list of questions:

- should I upgrade the current EXC 2010 install to 2013 or 2016 to make that migration/move easier or is that an unnecessary step (because of the current environment config, size, etc)? I know that EX2010 and EX2019 can't live together, so I was leaning toward upgrading first to 2016 then migrating to the new 2019 server.

- I thought I read somewhere that if all of my mailboxes were in Exchange Online the EX2016 license has a hybrid model/option that is "free." Is that correct and applicable? Does the same thing apply to ED2019 with only mailboxes online?

- I found the Exchange Deployment Wizard, but there is no 2019 option. Is that out there somewhere or even necessary to go from '16-'19?

In short, my plan currently looks like this:

- upgrade EX2010 to EX2016 (even now before the new hardware arrives) 

- setup new 2019 DC (and demote old 2012 DC)

- install new 2019 Server VM

- install EX2019 into new 2019VM

- migrate EX2016 setup/data to new EX2019

- remove EX2016 server

*somewhere in that process setting up the hybrid settings on the new EX2016 install and eventually the new EX2019 box I assume has to happen or does that migrate well?

Thanks all!

5 Replies

Hello! @BryceContento 

Your plan of action to tackle this looks good and it will get the job done! 

upgrade EX2010 to EX2016 (even now before the new hardware arrives) 

- setup new 2019 DC (and demote old 2012 DC) - Dont forget to prep the AD and Schema for Exchange 2016/2019 

- install new 2019 Server VM

- install EX2019 into new 2019VM

- migrate EX2016 setup/data to new EX2019

- remove EX2016 server

Since you are in a hybrid with all mailboxes located in Exchange Online , I think your Exchange VM doesnt have to be very "big" performance wise. That is of course, if your MX records are pointed to Exchange Online and all the virtual directories ( Autodiscover etc ) 

If you got pretty much everything in the cloud then this will be a very stragith forward migration to Exchange 2016/2019 

Just dont forget to prep the AD and Schema, and also to re-do the Hybrid Config for the new Exchange Server. And set up the send/Receive connectors. 

Also recommend a new SAN Cert with the new VMs FQDN

Hope this goes well! 
Let me know if you have futher questions! 

Kind Regards
Oliwer sjöberg

@oliwer_sundgren thanks very much for the reply.

From what I've read, there is no longer a "free hybrid license key" for EX2019 only 2016, correct? That means I'll be setting up EX2016 on the new Server 2019 VM.

Am I correct to think that I cannot (or should not) "upgrade" the existing EXC2010 server to 2016 in place? Since it doesn't look like I'll be going to EX2019, does it make sense to even worry about updating the existing EX2010 install at all?

Will prepping the AD ad schema for 2016 adversely effect the existing 2010 install?

Don't upgrade in place - it's not supported.

Don't go Exchange 2019, you just need Exchange 2016 for hybrid at no Exchange Server cost (OS license still needed) - but this is not true for Exchange 2019 for which you can only buy on Volume Licence and is not free to use for hybrid
Ok since I'm going ex2016 on the new 2019 VM with the free hybrid license, do I need to do anything with the existing ex2010 server (latest CU, upgrade to ex2013, etc) before setting up the new server, or is that just wasted effort since it's going away?

Thanks again all!
Upgrade it - no. But on latest service pack/roll up - that is required before you add Exchange Server 2016 to ensure it keeps working.