modify Exchange atributtes through Active directory Users and Computers is not supported ?

Copper Contributor

I read this articule:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange#can-third-party-management-tools-be-used 

Where says :

Can third-party management tools be used?

The question of whether a third-party management tool or ADSIEDIT can be used is often asked. The answer is you can use them, but they aren't supported. The Exchange Management Console, the Exchange admin center (EAC), and the Exchange Management Shell are the only supported tools that are available to manage Exchange recipients and objects. If you decide to use third-party management tools, it would be at your own risk. Third-party management tools often work fine, but Microsoft doesn't validate these tools.

The DOC talk about ADSIEDIT for changing the exchange atributtes, but didn't say anything about Active Directory Users and Computers. This last one (i assume)  is not a third-party tool. So my question is, " modify a Exchange atributtes through Active directory Users and Computers its supported or not?

Thanks!

4 Replies
That's a fairly open ended question since you don't mention which attributes you want to change,

I routinely change aliases in ADUC by editing the proxyAddresses attribute. The changes sync to Office 365.
i say "modify a Exchange atributtes" so i throght was clrear. u can modify any Exchange atributtes in ADUC. could be proxyadresses or Mail or the Exchangemailboxguid. so my question is , was supported change a user exchange atributtes from ADUC .
"I routinely change aliases in ADUC by editing the proxyAddresses attribute. The changes sync to Office 365"
yes, i know, but apparently if see the doc, says not supported for other Thrid Party managment tool but ADUC isn't
so, ADUC is supported for modify the Exchange atributtes for a user?
The reason that Microsoft won't support using tools other than the Exchange management tools is because they don't do any error checking, meaning you may end up with invalid values for the attributes you are updating. You can definitely use ADSIEdit and ADUC and get a perfectly fine experience if you know what you are doing, but using those tools is not supported by Microsoft

Microsoft moved the Exchange attributes to Active Directory with Exchange Server 2000.
Since then people have been using ADUC to make simple changes because it is more convenient for simple changes.

The other easy way to make changes, especially bulk changes, is to use Exchange PowerShell.