Meeting Room - Possible to only ask delegates in case of conflict?

Iron Contributor

I wonder if it is possible to set up a meeting room to auto accept meetings when the room is free and only require a respond from a delegate when there is a conflict?

I cannot set this with the available options in the EAC, but documentation suggests you can set more options with powershell. Is there a combination possible with auto accept (but that one seems to reject when there's a conflict), allow conflicts (but then everything gets accepted?) and delegates?

This is about a small firm of 25 people, with 3 part time assistants and just 1 meeting room. Trying to set up a procedure in which meeting room gets invited (and not directly booked) without giving a lot of work to the assistants. Currently, I guess everyone has Full Access rights and is booking there meetings directly in the calendar.

@Tony RedmondThought I read this in your book :)

4 Replies

@Michiel van den Broek The Set-CalendaringProcessing cmdlet is what you need to use https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailboxes/set-calendarprocessing?view=ex.... Try setting AutomateProcessing to AutoAccept (Both the Calendar Attendant and resource booking attendant are enabled on the mailbox. This means that the Calendar Attendant updates the calendar, and then the resource booking assistant accepts the meeting based upon the policies. Eligible meeting organizers receive the decision directly without human intervention (free = accept; busy = decline).) and AllowConflicts to False (to force delegates to resolve conflicts).

@Tony RedmondTnx. :)

I set up a new meeting room to test this:

1. New-Mailbox -Name "My Test Room" -Room
2. Get-CalendarProcessing: Mailbox is set to AutoAccept and AllowConflicts=False
3. Set-CalendarProcessing "My Test Room" -ResourceDelegates "Michiel" to set myself as a delegate (hope this doesn't cause a problem in testing this, as I will also be a organizer in the meeting???).

Then I created a meeting in my own calendar, inviting the meeting room:
1. Meeting 4:30 - 6:00 pm = auto accepted
2. Meeting 5:00 - 5:30 pm = auto declined

This is as expected, but I rather have:
1. Meeting 4:30 - 6:00 pm = auto accepted
2. Meeting 5:00 - 5:30 pm = tentatively accepted and a request to the delegate to accept/decline. (and perhaps a mail to the organizer to inform that his request is awaiting aproval...

Or is it either accept/decline automatically Or every request has to be manually accepted?

@Michiel van den Broek  Generally speaking it's best to use separate accounts for testing as you never know when permissions get in the way. We only have the parameters supported by the cmdlet. I'm not sure there's a way to get what you want. Maybe one of the Exchange engineers will see this and respond.

According to the engineers:

IF a resource delegate is set then all request are forwarded and accepted/declined manually by the delegate. There is no way to automate that today. The room status will change to tentative till delegate responds. 

IF you want auto booking then you must remove the delegate. In the scenario described below the room shouldn't auto accept or auto decline because a delegate was set.