SOLVED

Managing Email Retention in Exchange Online

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

The question is - retention tags and retention policies in the Exchange Online EAC, or retention labels and label policies in Office365 Security & Compliance Center?

I had read that the EAC retention tags and policies are going to be replaced with retention labels and policies, but there is nothing I see about archiving in the new retention labels and policies?

I guess we are pretty old school that we are using litigation hold on mailboxes to have the "legal" retention aspect covered, but are now really needing to enable online archiving to manage mailbox space. 

I am guessing that retention labels / policies are what we should look at moving forward in lieu of litigation hold... but what about mailbox size? Does the older EAC retention tags and policies stay around for the "primary mailbox / archive mailbox" thing?

Any clarity would be appreciated!

~D

2 Replies
best response confirmed by David Levine (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@David Levine 

The Information Governance retention policies in the Security and Compliance Center are emerging as Microsoft's default recommendation over things like in-place holds and even ediscovery cases. However, archiving still relies on those older MRM retention policies in Exchange Online.  

Should Microsoft deprecate this function in the Exchange Admin Center, then they will need to add the option into the SCC somehow I would imagine.  For the time being though, there is a halfway house.

Thanks for the reply; I understand it better now; I basically removed any "retention" type tags from the MRM, leaving only archiving options. So, I can use labels and label policies to manage retention, and MRM to manage archiving.
Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Levine (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@David Levine 

The Information Governance retention policies in the Security and Compliance Center are emerging as Microsoft's default recommendation over things like in-place holds and even ediscovery cases. However, archiving still relies on those older MRM retention policies in Exchange Online.  

Should Microsoft deprecate this function in the Exchange Admin Center, then they will need to add the option into the SCC somehow I would imagine.  For the time being though, there is a halfway house.

View solution in original post