Mailbox restore request for archive mailbox (prem) to archive mailbox (EXO)

Copper Contributor

Hey Guys,

I need a push into the right direction :)

I want to restore an soft deleted Exchange archive mailbox ( Prem ) to an Archive mailbox hosted in Exchange online.

I followed the the following guide 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/troubleshoot/user-and-shared-mailboxes/mailbox-exists-exo...

For the main mailbox all worked perfect.

Now I need to restore the archive mailbox and all combinations I tried - I always ended up in Failed restore requested without moving any mails to EXO.

So my question is how should the command look like and do I need to specify the -sourceisarchive and -targetisarchive switches ? If I use both the command will not execute ...

The following is working for the Main mailbox

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -RemoteHostName "mail.contoso.com" -RemoteCredential $cred -SourceStoreMailbox "exchange guid of disconnected mailbox" -TargetMailbox "exchange guid of cloud mailbox" -RemoteDatabaseGuid "guid of on-premises database" -RemoteRestoreType DisconnectedMailbox

I hope someone can enlighten me who to do this restore for a archive mailbox 

Thank for your help

Chris

2 Replies

Hello @Christoph Weste,

It's Ahmed :)

To restore a soft-deleted Exchange archive mailbox to an archive mailbox hosted in Exchange Online, you can use the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet with the following parameters:

-RemoteHostName: Specify the name of the Exchange server where the source mailbox is located.

-RemoteCredential: Specify the credentials to connect to the Exchange server where the source mailbox is located.

-SourceStoreMailbox: Specify the ExchangeGUID of the soft deleted archive mailbox.

-TargetMailbox: Specify the ExchangeGUID of the target cloud archive mailbox.

-RemoteDatabaseGuid: Specify the GUID of the database where the source mailbox is located.

-RemoteRestoreType: Set this parameter to DisconnectedMailbox to indicate that the source mailbox is a soft deleted mailbox.

You do not need to use the -sourceisarchive and -targetisarchive switches, as these are only used when restoring an archive mailbox to a different mailbox type (for example, restoring an archive mailbox to a primary mailbox).

Here's an example of how the cmdlet might look:

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -RemoteHostName "mail.contoso.com" -RemoteCredential $cred -SourceStoreMailbox "exchange guid of soft deleted archive mailbox" -TargetMailbox "exchange guid of cloud archive mailbox" -RemoteDatabaseGuid "guid of on-premises database" -RemoteRestoreType DisconnectedMailbox

You can then use the Get-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet to check the status of the restore request. If the restore request fails, you can use the Get-MailboxRestoreRequestStatistics cmdlet to view the error message and troubleshoot the issue.

I hope this helps give you some direction on how to restore a soft deleted Exchange archive mailbox to an archive mailbox hosted in Exchange Online. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Ahmed :)

Hey @Ahmed_Masoud97 ,

thx for you reply.

the source mbx and source archive mbx are located in different databases.
So if I have to always reference to the main primary mailbox for -RemoteDatabaseGuid then this was my mistake during my tries.

I will give that a shot

Chris