Mailbox for Service Account (exchange online)

Copper Contributor
Hi
Our organisation isn't ready to move to Exchange Online yet, though we have Office 365 e3 licencing. I need to create a service account that can send emails via Outlook 365 for use In Power Automate. The documentation I have seen for adding a mailbox to an existing AAD user requires assigning an exchange licence to the account via the licence portal. I can't see any such licences though we do have e3 licencing which are visible that I assume covers this? Unfortunately the admin who did the original configuration has moved on and I don't have a global admin role so have to go through a support team that can't help me with my lack of knowledge in the area! Any advice would be very much appreciated as what ( i think) should be a simple task has taken a lot of time to try and get to the bottom of!
Thanks,
Dale.
2 Replies

Yes, E3 includes the Exchange Online license. You might be able to use a Shared mailbox too, which doesnt require a license: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/email/create-a-shared-mailbox?view=o365-worldwi...

Thanks Vasil,

I've had a look through the link at shared mailboxes and the advice seems to be to avoid using them with a password login (which i need for authenticating the power automate connection). When I use my own account I get an error as my (and the rest of the companies) mailboxes are on a dedicated exchange server, the advice I've found goes through how to migrate my mailbox to fix this scenario, however I want to setup a new account directly in Office 365 that has an outlook 365 mailbox in the simplest way possible, solely for sending emails via Power Automate. Unfortunately as I don't have access its difficult to play around and figure this out, it may be creating the account and assigning it an e3 licence will provision a mailbox, but I'd like to make sure I know exactly what I need to ask for. Appreciate any further advice!

Thanks very much,
Dale.