Licensing Exchange Online Shared Mailboxes

MVP

Microsoft made a mistake in their provisioning process for Exchange Online shared mailboxes, so lots of mailboxes have 100 GB quotas. Things are changing now and new shared mailboxes will have 50 GB quotas, unless you license them. Here’s how to check the status of your shared mailboxes.

https://www.petri.com/licensing-exchange-online-shared-mailboxes

3 Replies

My current procedure is to convert a user's mailbox to a shared mailbox when the user leaves the company. I understand if they have more than 50GB now, this could be a problem.  My question is, what happens it that mailbox is converted and the license is removed? Do I receive an email or alert (tenant admin)?   Does it fail?  

The same question related to Archives. All of our users have Archives.  How does the archive change when converting to a shared mailbox and removing the user license?  Will I receive an alert or email? Does the archive get removed?   

Thanks. 

what happens it that mailbox is converted and the license is removed? Do I receive an email or alert (tenant admin)?   Does it fail?  

TR: If you convert a mailbox to a shared mailbox and it has more than 50 GB, you won't be able to send messages from that mailbox until you license it. I suspect you won't be worried about this if the mailbox is for a departed employee.

All of our users have Archives.  How does the archive change when converting to a shared mailbox and removing the user license?  Will I receive an alert or email? Does the archive get removed? 

TR: The archives stay in place. Microsoft doesn't enforce the licensing requirement on archives just yet, AFAIK.

Excellent. Just wanted to make sure I do not need to change my procedure any.  Correct, sending email will not be an issue.  The Archive requirement, if enforced, might be an issue.  Hopefully that does not happen.   Thanks for your response.