installing Exchange Step 6 of 13: Mailbox role: Transport Service - Object(EXCH) couldn't be found

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

This might be a long shot.

I'm trying to install exchange 2016 in a test environment.

I have already encountered many error messages and I have succeeded in solving these. It only seems that I do not get this solved.

I get the following error message:

Error:

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();

set-ExchangeServerRole -Identity $RoleFqdnOrName -IsHubTransportServer:$true -DomainController $RoleDomainController

" was run: "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.ManagementObjectNotFoundException: The operation couldn't be performed because object 'LCL-TST-EXCH-01.BASWLOCAL.local' couldn't be found on 'LCL-TST-SBS-01.BASWLOCAL.local'.

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.DataAccessTask`1.GetDataObject[TObject](IIdentityParameter id, IConfigDataProvider session, ObjectId rootID, OptionalIdentityData optionalData, Func`2 notFoundError, Func`2 multipleFoundError, ExchangeErrorCategory errorCategory)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetObjectWithIdentityTaskBase`3.ResolveDataObject()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetSystemConfigurationObjectTask`3.ResolveDataObject()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetObjectTaskBase`2.PrepareDataObject()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetTaskBase`1.InternalValidate()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetSystemConfigurationObjectTask`3.InternalValidate()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.<ProcessRecord>b__91_1()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.InvokeRetryableFunc(String funcName, Action func, Boolean terminatePipelineIfFailed)".

The infrastructure is

1 DC: LCL-TST-SBS-01.BASWLOCAL.local

1 Exchange Server: LCL-TST-EXCH-01.BASWLOCAL.local.

The underlying story is that I have installed a SBS server in Hyper-v on my windows 10 device and made a clone of it, and thus transformed it into the Exchange server. So the Exchange server was first a DC with exactly the same domain etc... I then demote it and joined the domain of DC 1.

I think the problem has to do with demoting it as a DC with the exact same domain.. hence the 'long shot'.

Perhaps there is someone here who has run into this too?

3 Replies
So your original role that the Exchange Server you are now installing was a DC? You uninstalled the DC role and then when you install Exchange Server you get lots of errors, which you resolved and now have the above error and if you resolve that you have no idea if you are going to get lots more errors?

Yes, it is all to do with the server being a DC. Start with a server installed from scratch from the installation media and maybe even just start from scratch and build a new DC from the install media - why are you still looking at SBS server - its not been on the market for years. Also there is something in the post about a clone being made - don't even go there with DC's - never clone machines and never ever clone DC's.

Uninstalling the DC role does not return the machine to the state it was in before it was a DC. It just uninstalls the role and stops it being a DC - it does not roll it back to how it was before it became a domain controller.

In the real world, if you demote a DC that is the end of its life as a server - you would be best to wipe it and start again. Therefore in a test environment or a virtual environment you need to do the same

Hi Brian,

I have it working for a few days now. 

You're indeed right a demoted DC is not useable for other roles. I thought that it would completely removes the DC roles. Lesson learned :-).

Hi Bas, how did you get it working? It appears we are the only two people on the internet with this error message