SOLVED

Installing Exchange 2019 CU11 downloaded from the Action Pack; product key is no good

Brass Contributor

Hi - I downloaded and installed Exchange 2019 CU11 from the Action Pack website. I copied the product key from the Action Pack website, but when I paste it in with Exchange Admin Center, the EAC returns the dreaded "Invalid product key" error.  I've checked, double-checked, and checked again. It's the Action Pack key. No typos; I pasted it in, field by field. Multiple times.

The official Exchange documentation at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/plan-and-deploy?view=exchserver-2019

says,

"Always install the latest Exchange Cumulative Update (CU) (Exchange Server build numbers and release dates | Microsoft Docs). There is no need to install the RTM build or previous builds and then upgrade to the latest Cumulative Update. This is because each Cumulative Update is a full build of the product."

This is different than Exchange 2016, where I found out the hard way I did need to install the RTM build first and then upgrade it to the latest CU. It's a welcome improvement if true. But my Exchange 2019 product key is no good with this CU11 build.

So - is the documentation wrong and I need to find the RTM version, or is my Action Pack product key no good, or is something else going on?

Thanks

- Greg Scott

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Thomas Stensitzki (MVP)
Solution

A few days later and the silence is deafening.

But in case any search engines pick this up, here was the solution. The EAC continued to return errors. And then I read a little farther into the documentation - there's a Powershell way to enter the product key. Quoting the documentation:

To enter the product key in the Exchange Management Shell, use this syntax:

PowerShell

Set-ExchangeServer <ServerName> -ProductKey <ProductKey>

Note that this command works to license an unlicensed server or to upgrade a licensed server from a Standard Edition license to an Enterprise Edition license.

This example licenses the Exchange server named Mailbox01.

PowerShell

Set-ExchangeServer Mailbox01 -ProductKey 12345-12345-12345-12345-12345  

With nothing to lose, I tried my activation from Powershell and it worked.  The EAC said the key was invalid, but Powershell liked it. Go figure. I restarted the Information Store service and now the EAC says I have a fully licensed Exchange 2019 server.

Greg,
Which browser did you use when trying to license your Exchange Server using the Exchange Admin Center?
There are some glitches when using any other browser but Internet Explorer.
-Thomas
I used Chrome. I may have also tried Firefox. And maybe Edge. But IE? Really?
It didn't work on Firefox, but it sure did in Edge.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Thomas Stensitzki (MVP)
Solution

A few days later and the silence is deafening.

But in case any search engines pick this up, here was the solution. The EAC continued to return errors. And then I read a little farther into the documentation - there's a Powershell way to enter the product key. Quoting the documentation:

To enter the product key in the Exchange Management Shell, use this syntax:

PowerShell

Set-ExchangeServer <ServerName> -ProductKey <ProductKey>

Note that this command works to license an unlicensed server or to upgrade a licensed server from a Standard Edition license to an Enterprise Edition license.

This example licenses the Exchange server named Mailbox01.

PowerShell

Set-ExchangeServer Mailbox01 -ProductKey 12345-12345-12345-12345-12345  

With nothing to lose, I tried my activation from Powershell and it worked.  The EAC said the key was invalid, but Powershell liked it. Go figure. I restarted the Information Store service and now the EAC says I have a fully licensed Exchange 2019 server.

View solution in original post