I have two Hybrid Exchange Servers and want to remove one

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me decommission Exchange 2010 Hybrid.

Server One: Exchange 2010 Hybrid (Site A)

Server two: Exchange 2016 Hybrid (Site B)

We have Exch 2010 running for the last year as Hybrid, I have recently built Exch 2016 Hybrid. All is working fine.

I only want the one Exchange 2016 Hybrid and would like to know how to decommission Exchange 2010 Hybrid correctly. I noticed Exch 2010 is listed in the Receive Connectors on the Exch 2016

All Mailboxes have been migrated to the cloud months ago, DNS etc all setup and everything is working great. I just want to remove Exchange 2010 completely without disrupting Mail flow.

I have read a ton of documents but none seem to fit this scenario.

2 Replies
1) Validate all virtual directories are correctly populated on the Hybrid server
3) Use the following steps to move the arbitration mailboxes to the Hybrid server
a) Steps to view Arbitration Mailboxes
Set-ADServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $true
Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | FL name,database,displayname,servername
b) Steps to move Arbitration Mailboxes:
Get-Mailbox –Database “Source-DB-NAME” –arbitration | New-MoveRequest –TargetDatabase “Destination-DB-NAME”
c) To check the status of the move request:
Get-MoveRequest | Get-MoveRequestStatistics | select DisplayName, StatusDetail, *Size, *Percent* | ft

To Decommission 2010 follow below:-
a) Remove all Health Mailboxes associated with the Exchange 2010 server databases in Active Directory Users & Computers. To determine if there are any Health Mailboxes remaining on the Exchange 2010/2013 databases, run the following cmdlet in Exchange Powershell:
Get-Mailbox -Database "Exchange 2010 DATABASE NAME" -Monitoring
b) Remove all Exchange 2010 databases from the Mailbox Server.
c) Uninstall Exchange 2010 Mailbox Role on by performing the following steps:
- Go to Add/Remove programs and double clicking on “Microsoft Exchange Server 2010”. ...
- Remove Exchange Server wizard will start. ...
- Exchange setup will then run a few checks to make sure that Exchange Server can be uninstalled from the system without any complications.
d) Uninstall Exchange 2010 Hub Transport / Client Access Roles on by performing the following steps:
- Go to Add/Remove programs and double clicking on “Microsoft Exchange Server 2010”. ...
- Remove Exchange Server wizard will start. ...
- Exchange setup will then run a few checks to make sure that Exchange Server can be uninstalled from the system without any complications.
e) If the Exchange 2010 Enterprise software does not uninstall successfully, please use the following steps to remove:
a. In ADSIEdit, go to the following path:
i. Configuration
ii. CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=com
iii. CN=Services
iv. CN=Microsoft Exchange
v. CN=ORGANIZATION_NAME
vi. CN=Administrative Groups
vii. CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYIDIBOHF23SPDLT)
viii. CN=Servers
ix. Select the <Exchange2010ServerName>. Right-click and select “delete”.

@DeepakRandhawa thank you for that great information. I did not realise there were so many manual steps to this process. I will shutdown the Exchange 2010 out hours and ensure all is working properly and then start the decommissioning.