SOLVED

Hybrid Ex2010 to 2019 via 2016 and failing Prerequisite Check for 2016 install?

Steel Contributor

I have an old Ex2010 server that I want to get to 2019. All of our in use mailboxes are in M365 now, I have a few archive mailboxes and need to manage accounts with AAD Connect. I am trying to install Ex2016CU23 on clean built WS2016 server. I cleaned up old Ex2000 or 2003 stuff, got RSAT and .Net installed. I downloaded the tenant config from M365 site. Still can't get through the process. I saw a mention of bypassing Prerequisite Check but can't find a way to do that.

If I run GUI installer it tells me my user/password for verifying hybrid configuration is bad. I am trying to do it via command line instead.

Setup.exe /PrepareAD /TenantOrganizationConfig c:\Users\administrator.FASPS\Documents\MyTenantOrganizationConfig.xml /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms_DiagnosticDataON

When I run I that I get:

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Prerequisite Analysis                                                                             100%

Setup will prepare the organization for Exchange Server 2016 by using 'Setup /PrepareAD'. No Exchange Server 2013 roles
have been detected in this topology. After this operation, you will not be able to install any Exchange Server 2013
roles.
For more information, visit: https://docs.microsoft.com/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/deployment-ref/readiness-checks?view=exchserver-2016

The tenant is currently being upgraded from Exchange 14.
For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.DidTenantSettingCreatedAnException.aspx

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the
:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

I am attaching the log in hopes someone can help me out. I renamed to .csv since you can't upload .log or .txt

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Brian Hoyt (Steel Contributor)
Solution
The Solution:
Add the following registry key on the Exchange Server to disable the hybrid detection check
Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\Setup
Type: REG_SZ
Name: RunHybridDetection
Value: 1

Then the setup would progress and tell me other pre-requisites missing and complete.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Brian Hoyt (Steel Contributor)
Solution
The Solution:
Add the following registry key on the Exchange Server to disable the hybrid detection check
Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\Setup
Type: REG_SZ
Name: RunHybridDetection
Value: 1

Then the setup would progress and tell me other pre-requisites missing and complete.

View solution in original post