How to handle meetings organized by deleted users?

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

there is that nearly-all-time known limitation that Exchange / Exchange Online can't change the organizer of a meeting.

That is really driving me mad in real life...imagine a team assistant leaving the company after having that up meeting series for the whole team / company including meeting room reservations etc...

How are you handling this limit in your real-life?

Best,

M.

6 Replies

Some orgs simply keep the account active and use it to cancel/reschedule the meetings. Other just delete them (only thing you can do programmatically) and create the new meetings.

Hello@matthias_fleschuetz_ntt 

I usually keep the accounts around for about 30 days before deletion. 

During this time, I either

1. Login to the mailbox of the retired/deleted user and cancel the meeting, and then inform the team to create a new recurring meeting with a new organizer
  2. Use PowerShell to delete/cancel all the calendar events of the deleted/retired user and then inform the team that they need to create a new recurring meeting.

Sadly there is no way ( that I know of ) to change the organizer of a meeting, probably because its tied to the organizers mailbox/calendar

Kind Regards
Oliwer Sjöberg

@oliwer_sundgren Thanks, I assumed something like that...but somehow really sad as offboardings / responsibility changes shouldn't be something so rare in corporate / enterprise environments.

I would somehow expect a good and integrated featureset for this usecase from a professional solution?

E.g. OneDrive / Sharepoint has this in place by using the manager field to grant access to the personal file space when a user is deleted. Even with fallback to a centralized email address if manager field is blank...

@matthias_fleschuetz_ntt 
I couldnt agree more :) 

Hopefully Microsoft finds a good way to resolve this, since its a very common scenario. 

If you havent already, I suggest voting for this, and other organizer realted user voices 

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/34639159-change-own...

Hi @oliwer_sundgren , great addition,

I would like to recommend to vote on this one too: 

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/38825380-recurring-...

It is an option to end the recurrences if needed.

KR

Microsoft needs to look into this, we can't be going into the user account to end their reoccurrence meeting. They need to create a way to end user's reoccurrence meetings for the Teams admin portal.