HCW red message Hybrid Configuration Service may be limited

Copper Contributor

16/5/2020 - Update

Yes you can continue through the setup and it works.

There is a working version available for the tenancy as well (but thats a little buggy too)

I have found some issues with Free/Busy not working occasionally, so check the following

1. Have you the domain listed in the HCW/ Hybrid Configuration Wizard?
  2. Are the DNS records in place and correct for the exchange server?
  3. Is the TargetSharingEpr and the TargetAutodiscoverEpr correct on both cloud and on-premise?
  4. Is the domain for Free/Busy federated against Office 365?

Back to my post.

Ran the HCW on Exchange 2016 and got odd errors about MRS proxy. Updated to Exchange 2015 CU 15, updated .Net framework. Re-ran HCW and got MRS proxy failed as follows 2 days ago:

HCW8078 - Migration Endpoint could not be created.

Microsoft.Exchange.Migration.MigrationServerConnectionFailedException
The connection to the server 'efexxxremoved_a_few.resource.mailboxmigration.his.msappproxy.net' could not be completed.

Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MRSRemoteTransientException
The call to 'https://efexxxremoved_a_few.resource.mailboxmigration.his.msappproxy.net/EWS/mrsproxy.svc' timed out. Error details: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:09.9978930. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. --> The remote server returned an error: (504) Gateway Timeout. --> The remote server returned an error: (504) Gateway Timeout.

Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MRSRemotePermanentException
The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:09.9978930. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.

The remote server returned an error: (504) Gateway Timeout.

The remote server returned an error: (504) Gateway Timeout.

Logged a ticket, and working thru the ticket there, but being asked why my Exchange Server can't be pinged ain't good.

Reran the wizard and see an error in red Hybrid Configuration Service may be limited after I offer my O365 admin account.

hcw-error2.png

Ran through the rest of the HCW and got a congrats, but same error as above, MRS could not be be created.

hcw-error.png

Looks like the config is in place.

But why the red error and what does it mean?

9 Replies

Got a response from MS support and apparently the issue with error in red Hybrid Configuration Service may be limited is due to a gloal issue effecting tenants globally, but I can't see it in any of of many customer portals.

Full test shared with me as follows:

EX204202- Can't configure hybrid environment

User Impact: Admins may be unable to configure a hybrid environment via the Hybrid Configuration Wizard (HCW).

More info: Admins may receive the following error when attempting to configure a hybrid environment: "Hybrid Configuration Service may be limited."

As an alternative method for resolving this issue, admins can manually configure OAuth using instructions in the following link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/configure-oauth-authentication-between-exchange-and-exchan...

Current status: The process to remediate the problem we identified within the fix is taking longer than expected. We anticipate the fix will be ready for testing by Friday, February 28, 2020. Once the fix has been validated, we'll confirm when the fix will begin deployment.

Scope of impact: Your organization is affected by this event, and may affect any admin attempting to configure a hybrid environment via the HCW.

Root cause: A recent configuration change is causing degraded functionality within the HCW, resulting in service impact.

Next update by: Friday, February 28, 2020, at 12:00 AM UTC

I'll wait until they fix it and see what happens.

But apparently not being able to ping the external server fqdn/ ip is a massive issue :(

@JoeMcGlynn Are there any news? We have the same issue. Thanks for your feedback.

@tspring80 

I performed a setup today ignoring the warning, and all seems working well

@ also have this message after running the HCW as a followup to SSL cert update. It ran perfectly until I tried to run recently. I submitted a ticket with Microsoft as well. Today they had me try to create a mailbox on prem and then try to configure an Outlook client external to connect and it will not connect to it. Can't find the server.

@JoeMcGlynn This is because you are using an old version of the Hybrid Connection Wizard.

I have written a blogpost about it:

https://www.nielskok.tech/exchange-online/exchange-online-hybrid-connection-error-hcw8108/

@Niels_Kok 

This was dead on with the "Hybrid Configuration Service may be limited"

I went to the Office 356 Exchange admin and downloaded the wizard from there.

No error on the logon to the "cloud" in that part of the wizard.

Although..... I get an Access Denied message on the next screen.  But, that I believe is another issue.

Thanks for posting this.

@Niels_Kok 

Thanks but that has issues as well.

From previous conversations I thought as a click to run, it should pull down the latest working version.

But as mentioned you can ignore the error and continue with the HCW configration 

@Niels_Kok 

Thanks! That seems to get past the red warning.