SOLVED

GlobalAddressList RecipientFilter Two Departments

Copper Contributor

Hello community,

Hopefully, someone can help as Microsoft Support just isn't understanding my problem unfortunately!

I setup a new GAL for our students to make things a little tidier and easier for them to natiigate all our addresses as they are young people and things do need to be simpler for some.

I wanted a GAL that only included all Student and Staff so they could find their peers or their teacher. However, what's happing is they can find their peers (students) but not the teachers (staff). 

Do you see any syntax issues with my recipient filter below?

New-GlobalAddressList -Name "Students-GAL" -RecipientFilter {(Department -eq "Students")} -or {(Department -eq "Staff")}

I tested creating an address book with a recipient filter for staff and this worked, here the command I used.

New-AddressList -Name "All Staff" -RecipientFilter {((RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -or (RecipientType -eq "MailUniversalDistributionGroup") -or (RecipientType -eq "DynamicDistributionGroup")) -and (Department -eq "Staff")}

Any help to resolve this would benefit a lot of students as what we have now found is auto suggest when they start comosing and email is they cannot find there teachers name like they coul before.

Thank you in advance.

Rob

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Rob Fuller (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The syntax looks OK. One thing to remember is that in Exchange Online, you need to "touch" objects before they appear in ALs: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/exchange/troubleshoot/administration/new-address-lists-not-contain...

Thanks Vasil, that's what it needed to kick the update in. Ill let Microsoft Support know :xd:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rob Fuller (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The syntax looks OK. One thing to remember is that in Exchange Online, you need to "touch" objects before they appear in ALs: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/exchange/troubleshoot/administration/new-address-lists-not-contain...

View solution in original post