Get-EXOMailboxFolderStatistics result limit 1000 items

Copper Contributor

EHLO community,

I have a PowerShell scripted process to extract mailbox statistics for a group of large mailbox users 80-90GB. Many of these users demand to keep their primary mailbox full of all their work.

When I am forced to apply archive tags, they need me to report on quantity/size of their mail folders so they can pick and choose what to tag for archiving.

Last week, I ran this same report using "Get-EXOMailboxFolderStatistics" and found it now only returns 1000 items. There appear to be no parameters to use that allow for more results.  I raised this with MS Support and they could not confirm or deny weather this has been deprecated or any sort of workaround.

There appears to be no way around it and I will have to develop a new method of inventory of these massive 3000+ folder mailboxes. 

Support claimed "lots of things changed recently with the rollout of Purview" and submitting the request to the community may help MS bring functionality back if there is demand.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have ideas on work arounds?

Thank you for any help,

-M

9 Replies
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Get-EXOMailboxStatistics is a "single object" cmdlet, it has never supported -ResultSize, neither has Get-MailboxStatistics. And since you usually run it in tandem with Get-Mailbox/Get-ExOMailbox, this is easy to get around.
But it looks to me you might probably mean Get-MailboxFolderStatistics/Get-ExOMailboxFolderStatistics instead? Same here though, no -ResultSize parameter. In any case, if the built-in cmdlets are not returning the full set of folders, you'd probably need some EWS or Graph API based solution.
Thank you for the reply, yes I'm an idiot, yes the folder stats is what I meant, big difference.
Updated the post.
Difficult scenario to test without a mailbox with over 1000 top level or nested folders.

I'm hoping I missed something obvious but all tests of both Get-MailboxFolderStatistics/Get-ExOMailboxFolderStatistics, now limit at 1000.

Thanks again.

@Motly-2000 I was able to reproduce the issue, since I do have a mailbox with approx 2000 folders. The command

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity $TargetMailbox

Is now returning only the 1000 first items, it is a big issue for our systems since a script to export and archive mails in subfolders of that email relies on this command, since the capped result change without any warning, we do not have time planned to implement a whole Graph API based solution right now, and we are currently stuck on archive request on a nearly full mailbox ...

Best open a support case and report this. @Nino Bilic for visibility.

I agree with Vasil that you should open a support case. It might be that the developers haven't run the cmdlet against a mailbox with so many folders. In the meantime, you might find that developing a Graph-based answer isn't as complex as you think. See https://office365itpros.com/2022/05/19/mailbox-folder-statistics/ for an example.

I've documented a use case in the article below and shared it with Exchange engineering. It might be the case that someone made an assumption that no one would ever have more than 1,000 folders in a mailbox, but as I describe, this happens with the non-IPM folders in group mailboxes...

How Many Teams Compliance Records Are in Your Tenant?

The Microsoft 365 substrate captures Teams compliance records for chats and channel conversations and stores them in Exchange Online. How many do you have? Although you might not care, sometimes it’s good to know (like a tenant to tenant migration), so we explain how to count Teams compliance records for chats and channel conversations.

https://office365itpros.com/2022/06/02/teams-compliance-records-count/

@Motly-2000 @Vasil Michev @Tony Redmond 

Hi,
Good news, I opened a case last week from O365 support, and it seems they just added the resultsize parameter to the Get-MailboxFolderStatistics. The following command :

(Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity $TargetMailbox -resultsize unlimited).Count

on our big big mailbox is now returning more than 1000 results.

Thanks for your assistance.

That's very interesting. They updated it for Get-MailboxFolderStatistics but not for Get-ExoMailboxFolderStatistics (probably because of pagination). I'll let the people who I was bugging know about the resolution. Sometimes one part of Microsoft doesn't communicate with another...

Even after specifying Result size parameter its showing only 1000 folders @Network23