SOLVED

Exchnage Email Address Policies in Exchange Online

MVP

In Exchange on prem we can set an Email Address Policy to create email aliases for new users to include email addresses using various and multiple name and domain combinations by default.  Is this possible in Exchange Online or does each alias need to be created individually once the user has been created?

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Sara Fennah (MVP)
Solution

Email Address policies are available in Exchange Online, but you can only use them against Modern Group object, so they are pretty useless. PowerShell scripts are the usual workaround.

@Keith KroslowOOPS,  (embarrassed face) - Typo, or a lesson on why you don't type and train at the same time.

Thanks - I thought we'd end up with a PowerShell solution but, wanted to confirm as my delegates were convinced I must be wrong. Am I correct in assuming that PowerShell is used to add the required email aliases after the user's has been created?

You can also specify it upon creation, but generally speaking that depends on the mailbox type, how exactly you are creating it, how are you managing identities, etc.

@Sara Fennah  

E-mail address policy is not helpful in exchange online. Powershell script is useful as Vasil said.

Regards,

Akshay

@Sara Fennah 

Please review the link below

Assign an address book policy to users in Exchange Online
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/address-books/address-book-policies/assign-an-address-book...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sara Fennah (MVP)
Solution

Email Address policies are available in Exchange Online, but you can only use them against Modern Group object, so they are pretty useless. PowerShell scripts are the usual workaround.

View solution in original post