Exchange Online Protected Email (Encryption/Rights Protection) - Protect button grayed out

Iron Contributor

I enabled message protection in our Office 365 tenant based on Tony Redmond's article here -https://www.petri.com/protect-email-office-365 but the protect button continues to be grayed out in Outlook Web.  The protection works fine in the Outlook client.  I also enabled protection in another tenant without issue.  What would cause the protect button to be grayed out in Outlook Web? 

I have tried disabling the button and re-enabling and that didn't help (Set-IRMConfiguration -SimplifiedClientAccessEnabled $false/Set-IRMConfiguration -SimplifiedClientAccessEnabled $true).

I have also tried Outlook web in IE and Chrome, it is grayed out in both.

Other users also see the protect button grayed out.

ProtectGray.PNG

4 Replies

It can take a while for the changes to take effect. If it has been over 24h, open a support case to have this properly investigated.

Hi - I have the same issue - were you able to get the protect button working in owa?

Many Thanks

Running this powershell command resolved the issue for me.

Set-IRMConfiguration -ClientAccessServerEnabled $true

I have this exact issue - ClientAccessServerEnabled is already set to true, but the above command also doesn't work as the parameter "-ClientAccessServerEnabled" doesn't exist.