Exchange Online NDR When the reoccurring outlook meeting is updated and sent

Copper Contributor
Can anyone help me to get the relevant information about following error and suggest the fix?

Error: STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:StoragePermanentException.MapiExceptionInvalidParameter; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot modify recipients. 1.65506:00000000, 1.49122:22000000, 1.57314:00000000, 1.30670:00000000, 4.25550:57000780, 0.20017:02000000, 4.28209:57000780 [Stage: OnCreatedEvent][Agent: Meeting Message Processing Agent]'

Background of the issue: We have Exchange Hybrid but all users are hosted Exchange Online. One of the user recently tried to update a particular meeting event (from a reoccurring meeting) and countered following NDR from multiple users. In the original meeting the organizer had invited DLs as well. From the error I think the issue could be due to the new members were updated/added/removed in the groups but I can't find any relevant information online for this specific error... If you can find the valid reference which proves my suspicion it would be great.
9 Replies

@aanandkarki, Did you figure out this issue? We're having the exact same one as you.

It seems the meeting was created before migration. However, I am not sure if this will work, but you can try Meeting update Tool :https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Meeting-Update-Tool-for-Skype-for-Business-and-Lync-2b525fe...

@moerderin 

Nope I could not find the root cause but as a work around, I have removed the groups from the Meeting requests and cleared the cache and then resolved the name directly from GAL and sent the updated/modified request which fixed the issue.

I think it has something to do with DL membership caching.

Hello @aanandkarki ,

This issue occurs if the Clutter feature is enabled for the user but the Clutter folder is missing in the user’s mailbox.

To work around this issue, turn off Clutter for the user. To do this, use one of the following methods.

Method 1: Use Outlook on the web

1. In Outlook on the web, click Settings in the upper-right corner.
  2. Click My app settings, click Mail, and then click Clutter.
  3. Clear the **Separate items identified as clutter **check box, and then click Save.

Method 2: Use Exchange Online PowerShell

1. Connect to Exchange Online by using PowerShell. 

2. Run the following command:

Get-Mailbox user@contoso.com | Set-Clutter -Enable $false

Thanks,

Manu

In our case, neither mailbox has clutter enabled.

@aanandkarki 

@aanandkarki wrote:

@moerderin 

Nope I could not find the root cause but as a work around, I have removed the groups from the Meeting requests and cleared the cache and then resolved the name directly from GAL and sent the updated/modified request which fixed the issue.

I think it has something to do with DL membership caching.

Too bad seemingly the only sure-fire solution on Google for this "Cannot modify recipients" error is complete Greek to me. Could some kind soul transcribe aanandkarki's comment into a step-by-step? Based on the email headers in my case, it seems the only recipients are 2 individuals; no "group" involved?

...To: Bob LastName <email@domain.com>, Sally LastName <email@domain.com>Subject: Bob LastName - Meeting Thread-Topic: Bob LastName - Meeting Thread-Index: [alphanumeric string]/[alphanumeric string]-MS-Exchange-Calendar-Originator-Id: [alphanumeric string];/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group ([alphanumeric string])/cn=Recipients/...

Edit: Oh...well, actually, @manuphilip might have helped me--the user's account had Clutter enabled. I just disabled it via Exchange Online Powershell. We will see

@wad11656 Did disabling clutter help fix the issue?

@aanandkarki Just ran into this same error and issue. Just googled and found this post. Similar situation, user created this reoccurring meeting, originally invited 3 users. User just modified one of the meeting dates (not the series), and removed an old user and sent out the update. She only receives that bounceback email error for one user. Resolution was modified meeting for just that one, removed the user > Saved meeting >remodified the same meeting and re-added the user and it sent out fine and saw it went on the users calendar without the bounceback.