SOLVED

Exchange Hybrid Key Terms Of Use

Steel Contributor
Hello Team,
I have been struggling to find clear documentation on use cases of Free Exchange Hybrid key provided by Microsoft for implementing Hybrid. I am able to obtain the key and implement Hybrid fine without any issues, however the legal use case picture is a bit blurred. Hope you can clear a few of my doubts:
1. Can i use hybrid key verified server for management purposes only; like one of my clients has ex2010, i have already setup hybrid and moved users to office 365 using ex2010 next i wish to decommission ex2010 and rather keep exchange 2013/16 licensed using Hybrid key to manage attributes on-premises?
2. I know hosting mailboxes on hybrid key installed exchange server is a clear NO, but can i use this server for features like SMTP relay?
3. If the practice to use hybrid key licensed
ex2016 as management server is legit, what would be the best approach to tackle it, i was thinking of installing hybrid key licensed ex2016 in coexistence with ex2010(mailboxes moved to o365 hybrid) point all the virtual directories to ex2016, decom ex2010. Dirsync stays on.

I remember going through an old KB mentioning that Hybrid key is only for folks who are on ex2003/ex2007.

Really don't wish to overstep any legal lines here; I would really appreciate if you could point me to some MS documentation.

Thankyou as always.
2 Replies
best response confirmed by harveer singh (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Nobody here is qualified to quote licensing terms on behalf of Microsoft, so best talk to your TAM or local Microsoft folks. You should have issues in the scenarios you are describing, but again, this is not a response coming from Microsoft representative.

@Vasil Michev  Thanks Vasil, will try to dig deeper.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by harveer singh (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Nobody here is qualified to quote licensing terms on behalf of Microsoft, so best talk to your TAM or local Microsoft folks. You should have issues in the scenarios you are describing, but again, this is not a response coming from Microsoft representative.

View solution in original post