Exchange Hybrid Distribution Group

Iron Contributor

Can Distribution groups created in EOL in hybrid environment seen in Exchange On Premises address book?

7 Replies

@Mansihsain- I see the links talk about Office 365 Groups, however I am looking at Distribution Groups/lists.

And also can on-premises users send emails to Distribution groups in Exchange Online, I receive a message hop count exceeded NDR

Thank you for your response.

It cannot be seen on-premises, as DirSync is one way only, from the AD to O365. So you have to create another object on-premises to represent the DG address. Generally speaking, any type of object should do, including mail contact, just set the targetaddress to point to the DG@tenant.onmicrosoft.com value.

I tried and this worked @Vasil Michev.

However does this treat your message as an external message, it is doing so to me. Do we have to add tenant.onmicrosoft.com as authoritative on premises exchange server. I already have tenant.mail.onmicrosoft.com added as authoritative during hybrid configuration.

You can simply add a @tenant.mail.onmicrosoft.com alias to the DG and use that.

@Sai Gutta As @Vasil Michev  stated and addition to that, you can run a HCW Wizard to do all the Hard Work for you, post which you can Import DG's from CLoud to On-Premise via EMS.

from EO - Get-Recipient -recipientType DIstributionGroup -resultsizeunlimited | Export-Csv onlinedl.csv

From EMS - Import-CSV onlinedl.csv $_.foreach New-DistributionGroup -smtp -lastname ............ (you know how to make that work for Bulk import via CSV) 

Then next ad sync will soft match your on=premise ad identities (DG's) to Cloud automatically. BUt here is the catch, because now import is coming from On-premise and on-premise dg's have no members , then all DG's members would be gone from cloud. Workaround - ensure to create the Import DG's on an OU which is not syncing to Aure AD via Azure AD Conect. You may similarly export all members from cloud DG's in an CSV and import to On-Premise DL;s or you can do that individually through individual dl's Excel Copy paste methid (Add-distributinGroupMember) . Once you are sure all groups and respective members are matched. Move them to a syncing OU in AD. Run Azure AD Sync and You should be all set. (not a recommended idea though) mail contact should ideally do the trick for you :) 

Cheers !!

Ankit Shukla

@Sai Gutta 

You may need to look into accepted domains and ensure your domains on both local and online have the right setting for your domain it should state internal relay not authoritative