SOLVED

Exchange full hybrid replace 2016 server with 2019

Copper Contributor

We are running an Exchange 2016 full hybrid set up with O365. We want to move to using an Exchange 2019 server for management and retire the 2016 server. Do we just install the 2019 server using the HCW in with a management license and then retire the 2016 server, or is there a different (better) process to use?

Eric Logsdon

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Eric_Logsdon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Eric_Logsdon 

> Do we just install the 2019 server using the HCW in with a management license and then retire the 2016 server

That's exactly how you do it.

Don't forget to:

• Migrate Certificates / create new Certificate
  • Assign Certificate to SMTP / IIS
  • Change Destination on your Reverse Proxy
  • Change Destination on your Loadbalancer (if you have one)

Regards

Andres

Thanks. I was hoping it was that straightforward, but with Microsoft and Exchange, you can never tell.
Thanks, I'll read through that. I love assistants, guides and checklists.

Hello @Andres Bohren, can you please share some detailed explanations regarding activities that HCW performs on a new Exchange 2019 server? As far as I'm aware, HCW establishes a new connection to O365, and new connectors are created on-premises. Is that correct or there is something else that needs to be considered in the process of replacing Exchange 2016 Hybrid with Exchange 2019 Hybrid which is going to be used only for editing Exchange attributes?

It does do some other stuff as well. High level process is outlined here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-configuration-wizard

Thanks @Dan Snape,

I have one more concern I want to replace the Exchange 2016 hybrid that is not on the latest CU with the new Exchange 2019 hybrid.

Do I need to fully update (mandatory prerequisite) the existing Exchange 2016 to the latest CU prior to adding 2019 to an existing organization and reconfiguring HCW?

Thank you for your assistance on this.

Marko

I would firstly recommend that all Exchange servers are kept up to date, but there should be no issues running the HCW again to move to the new Exchange 2019 server (as long as you don't select the legacy servers to be included in the hybrid) without updating the legacy servers first

@Andres Bohren

I had a question: when configuring Exchange hybrid on the new Exchange 2019, do you first have to move the external flow from 2016 to 2019? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eric_Logsdon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Eric_Logsdon 

> Do we just install the 2019 server using the HCW in with a management license and then retire the 2016 server

That's exactly how you do it.

Don't forget to:

• Migrate Certificates / create new Certificate
  • Assign Certificate to SMTP / IIS
  • Change Destination on your Reverse Proxy
  • Change Destination on your Loadbalancer (if you have one)

Regards

Andres

View solution in original post