Exchange 2016 CU update failed schema prereq

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

We have an exchange 2016 Hybrid server. It basically just manages our O365 accounts, has no mailboxes on it. I tried to upgrade to CU22 last night and the update failed at the AD schema prereq check with an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"  . Im going through the logs but cant really make any sense of what the issue is. If anyone has run into this it would be extremely helpful to get some insite. I think it may have somehting to do with my Hybrid setup.

Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.HybridConfigurationDetection.HybridConfigurationDetectionException: The On-Premises test failed with the message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.HybridConfigurationDetection.HybridConfigurationDetection.TestOnPremisesOrgRelationshipDomainsCrossWithAcceptedDomain(IOnPremisesHybridDetectionCmdlets onPremCmdlets)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.HybridConfigurationDetection.HybridConfigurationDetection.RunOnPremisesHybridTest()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.HybridConfigurationDetection.HybridConfigurationDetection.RunOnPremisesHybridTest()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Analysis.PrereqAnalysis.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<.ctor>b__46(Result`1 x)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Analysis.Builders.SettingBuilder`2.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<SetValue>b__0(Result x)
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Deployment.HybridConfigurationDetection.HybridConfigurationDetection.TestOnPremisesOrgRelationshipDomainsCrossWithAcceptedDomain(IOnPremisesHybridDetectionCmdlets onPremCmdlets)

Failed [Rule:DidOnPremisesSettingCreatedAnException] [Message:The On-Premises test failed with the message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..]
[REQUIRED] The On-Premises test failed with the message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

1 Reply

@chrisflagg Did you ever manage to get this resolved?

I am running into the same error.

Thanks