Exchange 2016 - Clean Install

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Can I do a clean Install of Exchange 2016 from the latest CU ISO, or do I need to install from the original ISO and then patch to the latest CU?

Thanks

6 Replies

Hi @DavidYorkshire,

You can install directly using the CU, the latest CU as all setup and all Cumulative Updates.

What is your scenario, and why do you need Exchange 2016 if it is available de Exchange 2019 ?

Best Regards,
Nuno Árias Silva

@Nuno Silva 

Thanks

It's for upgrading the on-premises bit of a hybrid setup - don't currently have licenses for Windows Server 2019, nor enough available RAM to meet the reommended system requirements for Exchange Server 2019.

Hi @DavidYorkshire,

Perfect, that you can migrate to Exchange 2016 in the upgrade path.

Best Regards,
Nuno Árias Silva 

@DavidYorkshire 

Also worth pointing out that Exchange 2019 is not yet recommended / supported by Microsoft yet for hybrid deployments,  so Exchange 2016 is definitely the way to go.

@PeterRising -

@PeterRising wrote:

@DavidYorkshire 

Also worth pointing out that Exchange 2019 is not yet recommended / supported by Microsoft yet for hybrid deployments,  so Exchange 2016 is definitely the way to go.

why would you say that? That's not true. 

@Greg Taylor - EXCHANGE 

OK, that should have read that Microsoft do not support (maybe provide is a better word) a free Exchange hybrid License key for Exchange 2019 (unless you can advise me this has changed - I believe this to still be true and can find no evidence otherwise).  

Therefore, the majority of hybrid deployments end up being Exchange 2016 (which does come with a free hybrid licence key with O365 Enterprise plans) as opposed to Exchange 2019. This is an easy decision for most as no one really wants to pay for a licence for Exchange 2019 for a server they don't actually want, but Microsoft tells them they need to have to remain supported after their migration.  

In short, I phrased my post badly though.  Apologies.