Exchange 2016 change time and date into future

Copper Contributor

Hello Community, we have a customer with a strange issue. The customer has a single domain with two Domaincontrollers and one Exchange 2016 Server. Started in january, the Exchange Server change his own system time and date one month into the future and after a few minutes or reboot back to original time. The Domaincontrollers get their time from multiple ntp internet server, every member server or client get his time from one of the domaincontroller.

The Exchange Server is a VM on a vSphere ESXi Cluster. Time Sync between Host is disabled, and any other Server has not this issue. There is no Task assigned or any malware that we found on this system which maybe could change the time. 

Everytime the local system change the time, started on january maybe once a month or so, afterwards sometimes only a reboot solve the Problem. Time sync is set to Domaincontroller's and a query on the exchange server give the right results, its absolute strange...

3 Replies

@reaper111 Hello,
What is the version of CU?

Can the system run on a VM and sync the clock update from there? Did you do GPO checks on the domain?

If you are running on VMware, you need to do a right click on VMware tools. You have the" Synchronize Guest time with host " setting. If the box is checked, please remove this mark and try it.

I want to help you. I had a problem similar to the problem you had when I was using Windows Server 2012 R2. I solved the problem with the commands I mentioned below.

https://cengizyilmaz.net/domain-controller-ve-clientlar-arasinda-saat-senkronizasyonu/

If there is a time synchronization problem between DC and clients, you can solve the problem by following these steps. First, you need to find a PDC emulator. You can find PDC emulator with the following command.

dsquery server -hasfsmo pdc

Then follow the following command in PDC emulator.

w32tm /config /update /syncfromflags:MANUAL /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0×1

In clients, you can also ensure synchronization by applying the following command.

w32tm /resync /rediscover

If the above does not work, try the following commands in PDC emulator.

NET TIME /SETSNTP:time.windows.com
NET STOP W32TIME
NET START W32TIME
W32TM /config /reliable:YES
W32TM /resync /rediscover

Hi cengizyilmaz, thank you for your answer. It is no a problem in general, just with this VM which running exchange. There are no Time settings configured in any gpo, all system get their time from one of the dc. The PDC goes directly to external time server to sync his time. Not any VM is syncing his time over the Host oder within the VM Guest Tools. As i wrote, the time in generall is snyc right, but a few times the system itself change local date and time into future.

@reaper111 

Hi, did you resolve this problem? we have the same issue with our exchange server