Exchange 2010 DAG Decommission

Copper Contributor

So, I inherited an old 2010 Exchange environment that's about to be decommissioned and I need a little advice on how to proceed with it. It's a hybrid O365 deployment and I recently finished migrating the last of our mailboxes to Office 365. The DAG was setup with two servers -- one physical, on virtual. At some point the physical server died and they never replaced it. Apparently, the server didn't have any active databases mounted on it, so I'm guessing the saw the failure coming. Why they didn't just spin up a virtual to replace it, I have no idea...

My current issue is we aren't quite ready to decommission the environment completely yet (I know, I know... we are stuck waiting on a couple of app teams). In the meanwhile, I'd like to break down the DAG and make sure I'm getting good backups of the remaining server. Again, no mailboxes in play as everything is in Office 365 already, but until the app teams are ready, I need to make sure the server stays up and running and that mail flow is not disrupted. Again, not sure why they left a DAG up with only one member, but again that's water under the bridge...

So, anyone got any advice how I should approach this?

0 Replies