Exchange 2003 Staged Migration Decomission/Install Exchange 2016 for on premise Attributes

Copper Contributor

Please help point me in the right direction, including any links to articles.

Where we have Stage Migrated all of our Exchange 2003 mailboxes to Exchange Online and have Exchange 2003 on premise.

Q: What are the steps/overview to decommission Exchange 2003 / Exchange System Manager, then install Exchange 2016 and tools for on premise management of Exchange attributes in AD?  Included with this, raising AD functional level from 2003.  We do have 2012 Domain Controllers installed, but also still have 2003 DCs to support Exchange 2003 System Manger.

Thanks,

Dan

2 Replies

@danfoxley 

As you probably know, E2003 is not supportable anymore.  It will be difficult to find any MS/Official documentation to guide you through this process.

Here's a rough outline that I hope helps you get started:

1) E2010 is okay with WS2012 DCs.  You don't need the 2003 DCs.  Are all the servers in the same site? Is there a 'services' site?

2) You must install E2016 before uninstalling 2003.  You can't uninstall your current mailbox servers while you have mailboxes.  So you have to install new servers, then migrate.

3) Removing E2003 is as simple as just uninstalling Exchange from those systems.  There's no "this is the last server" operations to worry about.

There are a lot of components to consider during this migration.  Client access, mail flow, failover, etc.

Do you already have premier support?  You may want to contact MS about premier services or look into a Microsoft Consultant Services (MCS) contract.

@chrisream Thanks for the reply.

To make sure we're on the same page, I just want to end up with Exchange 2016 for managing Exchange attributes with AD Connect, no on premise mailboxes exist they've been "Stage Migrated". This link is the best I've seen for where I need to be.  Can I uninstall Exchange 2003, then run / install the Exchange 2016 HCW on a 2016 server, or are there other steps required?  (For example, what will E2016 HCW do when it sees E2003 attributes already in on premise AD and not E2007, E2010, or if I uninstall E2003 from our AD THEN install E2016 and HCW?)

Answers in line...............................

E2010 is okay with WS2012 DCs. 

Not sure what you mean by E2010 ok, below you state E2016 (which is what I want to have on premise to manage mail attributes for AD connect.)

You don't need the 2003 DCs.

OK, yeah plan was to decommission once E2003 was gone, but need since E2003 System Manger in on a 2003 DC.

Are all the servers in the same site?

Same domain, three sites.

Is there a 'services' site?

No

2) You must install E2016 before uninstalling 2003.  You can't uninstall your current mailbox servers while you have mailboxes.  So you have to install new servers, then migrate.

I've Stage Migrated all mailboxes.  Can I just uninstall Exchange 2003 then run Exchange 2016 HCW?