Do I need an Exchange hybrid server?

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

This is my scenario. We have a Windows Server 2012 with Exchange installed in hybrid mode, version 15.1.

I need to update the OS - so my initial thoughts are to build a new 2019 server and install Exchange 2019 on it.   We use M365 - all our imail boxes are in the Microsoft cloud somewhere, we have no mailboxes on prem on the hyrbid server but for the Administrator account.  We only use the on prem hybrid server to point our MFC fleet at an smtp server and some on prem software for notification emails as an example.  So, do I actually need an on prem exchange server?  Can I not simply re-configure my on prem copiers and software to point at my online SMTP presence?  Would this screw something else up though - our consultants insist we need it but can't say exactly why and they have quoted me 11 days worth of consultancy to install a new 2019 exchange server, which seems like 10 days too much to me ;)  Any advice please?

TIA

Stuart

3 Replies
Hard to answer without knowing the specifics. Keep in mind that basic authentication is going away very soon and most MFCs will likely not support modern auth, so you'll have to use an interim solution. Doesn't necessarily need to be an Exchange server though.
Hi Vasil - thanks for the reply and good point. So, whilst you here ;) I understand I need a solution to route my internal comms to my M365 mailboxes, so I need something - should I simply build a Standard Exchange 2019 server to relay these emails ? Now I'm also wondering about licensing! Thanks
You'll probably do fine with the free "Hybrid" edition.