decommision resource forest and install Exchange 2016 in account domain with existing hybrid

Deleted
Not applicable

Following situation at a customer:

- Account and Resource forest

- Office 365 tenant

- Azure AD Connect  machine running in Account forest, syncing both directories

- ADFS in Account forest

- Exchange 2010 in Resource forest with Hybrid setup

What we want:

- decommision resource forest/domain and Exhange 2010

- install Exchange 2016 in account forest

- make 2016 the hybrid

I was wondering which steps we had to take. We are now already migrating user to Exchange Online. For a new user we create a user with Linked Mailbox in Resource domain. We ADMT it to the Account forest, we trigger ADSync. A mailuser is made in Office 365 and we iniate a mailbox move.

Then in the resource forest we have a Mail Contact in Ex2010 and a disabled account in AD.

1- How can we get rid off these migrated users?

2- When can we install 2016 in the account forest, can it do any harm when we install it next to Ex 2010 which is in the other forest(ofcourse we have  a trust)

3- How to move on from here?

Thanks for your support!

(sorry, I also posted this by accident in the Office 365 community. I realized later it should be here?)

25 Replies

OK, it all went fine. I start configuring it. Thanks for all the help and talk later!

@Olaf Duits wrote:

Following situation at a customer:

- Account and Resource forest

- Office 365 tenant

- Azure AD Connect  machine running in Account forest, syncing both directories

- ADFS in Account forest

- Exchange 2010 in Resource forest with Hybrid setup

What we want:

- decommision resource forest/domain and Exhange 2010

- install Exchange 2016 in account forest

- make 2016 the hybrid

I was wondering which steps we had to take. We are now already migrating user to Exchange Online. For a new user we create a user with Linked Mailbox in Resource domain. We ADMT it to the Account forest, we trigger ADSync. A mailuser is made in Office 365 and we iniate a mailbox move.

Then in the resource forest we have a Mail Contact in Ex2010 and a disabled account in AD.

1- How can we get rid off these migrated users?

2- When can we install 2016 in the account forest, can it do any harm when we install it next to Ex 2010 which is in the other forest(ofcourse we have  a trust)

3- How to move on from here?

Thanks for your support!

(sorry, I also posted this by accident in the Office 365 community. I realized later it should be here?)

Olaf Duits, we too have the same requirement and same current setup as described by you. Did you manage to decommission exchange in resource forest and install in account forest ? If so, please provide the steps you followed to complete this. 

Did you able to complete decommission of resource forest?

Richard, 

Are these the attributes are important for the export and import?

EmailAddress

ProxyAddresses

msExchRecipientTypeDetails

msExchMailboxGuid

Or am I missing some attributes?

Accounts are already created and configured for SSO in the users forest.I will map the users with msExchMasterAccountSID and objectGuid

Are you decommissioning the Forest that has Exchange installed or will that remain?