SOLVED

Custom GAL

Brass Contributor

I have found some documentation like below, but there is not a step by step of what I want to do.

I have a certain group of users in my org that need only to be able to see a select group of people in the GAL.  I looked for making a GAL for a group, but It may not be possible to assign an address policy to a group.  If anything assign an address policy to the select people.  I am stuck.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/address-books/address-lists/create-global-address-list

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/address-books/address-book-policies/address-book-policies

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_exchon-mso_o365b/hide-all-...

5 Replies

ABPs are assigned to users indeed, so you will have to expand the membership of the group and assign the ABP to each user. Rinse and repeat when users are added/removed from the group as needed.

best response confirmed by Fixxser2 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Fixxser2 

Please find below steps to create a customize GAL in your environment.

Create New Address Book Policy

Before Creating a policy, we have to create:
AddressList
GlobalAddressList
OfflineAddressBook
RoomList

New-GlobalAddressList -Name “GAL IT” -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers -ConditionalDepartment IT

NEW-ADDRESSLIST -NAME “IT” -RECIPIENTFILTER {((RECIPIENTTYPE -EQ ‘USERMAILBOX’))} -RECIPIENTCONTAINER IT

NEW-OFFLINEADDRESSBOOK -NAME “IT OAB” -ADDRESSLISTS “IT”

New-AddressBookPolicy -Name “IT Team” -AddressLists “IT” -OfflineAddressBook “IT OAB” -GlobalAddressList “GAL IT” -RoomList “IT_confRoomList”

Set-Mailbox -Identity "Test1" -AddressBookPolicy ‘IT Team’

Regards,

MD

@MDadarkar 

I had to make a couple of changes and the below worked.  Thanks so much @MDadarkar 

I used the GUI exchange admin to select multiple users and assign the IT Team address policy to them

Changed:

New-GlobalAddressList -Name “GAL IT” -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers -ConditionalDepartment IT

New-AddressList -Name "IT" -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers -ConditionalDepartment "IT"

New-AddressBookPolicy -Name “IT Team” -AddressLists “IT” -OfflineAddressBook “IT OAB” -GlobalAddressList “GAL IT” -RoomList “IT”

Used GUI exchange admin to select multiple users and assign the IT Team address policy

@Fixxser2 

Nice to hear that..

Great.....

Regards,

MD

Hi, sorry for the delay...
When trying to use the command for "GlobalAddressList" nothing appears, even having loaded the "ExchangeOnlineManagement".
Could you tell me what might be missing or what I'm doing wrong?!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Fixxser2 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Fixxser2 

Please find below steps to create a customize GAL in your environment.

Create New Address Book Policy

Before Creating a policy, we have to create:
AddressList
GlobalAddressList
OfflineAddressBook
RoomList

NEW-ADDRESSLIST -NAME “IT” -RECIPIENTFILTER {((RECIPIENTTYPE -EQ ‘USERMAILBOX’))} -RECIPIENTCONTAINER IT

New-AddressBookPolicy -Name “IT Team” -AddressLists “IT” -OfflineAddressBook “IT OAB” -GlobalAddressList “GAL IT” -RoomList “IT_confRoomList”

Regards,

MD

View solution in original post