Connect user to different mailbox

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am very new to all the Exchange administration and not sure about the following task:

I have two users, 

john smith       with mailbox:      john.smith@info.net   

invoice      with mailbox:      invoice@info.net      (<- not a group, not a shared mailbox)

now i want to fully remove johns mailbox and connect the invoice mailbox / adress / everything to him.

johns mailbox is empty and irrelevant and he dont want to use his personal mailadress. he wants to be invoice@info.net . 

Can somebody tell me how to do this? I dont want to lose data and have no clue what to do.

I'm thinking of exporting invoice@ as .pst, deleting john and invoice in exchange and creating a new invoice mailbox that i asign to john and import all old data - but this seems not really pretty to me.

BTW: Exchange 2019 on premise; Server 2019 with AD DC on premise, one domaine, nothing special.

4 Replies

Hi @HT686 

You can disable a mailbox which disconnects it from a user account, then reattach the mailbox to a different user account. This will avoid having to export the mailbox as PST and reimport it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/recipients/disconnected-mailboxes/disable-or-delete-mailbo...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/recipients/disconnected-mailboxes/connect-disabled-mailbox...

You might want to disconnect the invoice mailbox, disconnect Johns mailbox, then reconnect the Invoice mailbox to Johns profile. If there is nothing in Johns mailbox it can remain disconnected and will be purged from the database after 30 days by default

I would make sure you have a good Exchange backup before you do make any changes - there isn't much there that isn't reversible or fixable if you hit problems but it's always practice.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Hello @HT686 

This could be done in two simple steps with Powershell / Exchange management Shell 

First we disable/Disconnect the Invoice mailbox

Disable-Mailbox  -Identity "Invoice@info.net" 

Then we delete Johns mailbox 

Disable-Mailbox -Identity "John.smith@invoice.net" 

After this, we will now reconnect the Invoice mailbox, but to Johns AD user 

Note that "MXDB01" Will need to be replaced with ypur databse name. 

Connect-Mailbox -Identity "Invoice" -Database "MXDB01" -User "John Smith"

Let me know if you need further assistance 

Kind Regards
Oliwer Sjöberg

Hi @oliwer_sundgren 

I believe the Remove-Mailbox -Identity "John.smith@invoice.net" will also delete the john.smith AD user object at the same time. Replacing it with Disable-Mailbox should keep the AD account intact. 

Hi @HidMov 

You're correct, I typed to fast haha :) 

I've edited the reply