SOLVED

Company Impact After Office 365/Exchange Hybrid Configuration

Copper Contributor

Good Morning all, My boss asked me to write down a report where i need to explain what will affect our company after the Office 365/Exchange hybrid configuration. We have an Office 365 Enterprise E3 license, assigned to many employees who widely use its applications (To-Do, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft Stream for O365, Microsoft StaffHub, Flow for Office 365, PowerApps for Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Planner, Sway, Yammer, OneDrive and so on). We also have an onpremise Exchange Server installation and we are more or less 500 users. My Boss, in the report, would like to know and inform our employees on what could happen once we add our onpremise domain and change all onmicrosoft.com domain with ours, but i really don't know... So my questions are: - Do users need to do something once switched from "user@mycompany.onmicrosoft.com" to "user@mycompany.com"? - Do apps like Teams, Power BI desktop, OneNote, OneDrive need to be reconfigured? I really can't find something that can explain me this procedure on the internet, so please help me! Thank you all and sorry for my english :)

4 Replies

First, you need to give us more details on your current configuration. Are we to assume that all mailboxes are currently hosted on-premises and you are already using the above mentioned O365 services? Is the mycompany.com domain added to O365 and which domain you are using for the UPNs?

In general, unless you change the UPN (which is not mandatory for Hybrid), apps will continue to work fine. But it depends on the details. Which is why it's always a good idea to run a small pilot with few test users.

@Vasil Michev wrote:

First, you need to give us more details on your current configuration. Are we to assume that all mailboxes are currently hosted on-premises and you are already using the above mentioned O365 services? Is the mycompany.com domain added to O365 and which domain you are using for the UPNs?

In general, unless you change the UPN (which is not mandatory for Hybrid), apps will continue to work fine. But it depends on the details. Which is why it's always a good idea to run a small pilot with few test users.

Good morning Vasil and really thank you for your reply!

Like you said, mailboxes are all hosted on-premise and we are already using O365 services with the onmicrosoft.com domain. 

Next week we will need to do the hybrid configuration with onpremises and so adding our domain and then changing all UPNs from @onmicrosoft.com to @mydomain.com. 

Once i'll have changed that UPNs, which of O365 services will need to be reconfigured? 

Thanks again

best response confirmed by Rick080194 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Well if you are changing UPNs as part of the process, the clients will have to be reconfigured with the new login details (and don't forget to inform your users accordingly!). Web-based clients should continue to work just fine, but the OneDrive client, Teams and any other "standalone" clients will either prompt you for login details or will stop working until you've changed them manually.

As I mentioned above, best do a pilot :)

@Vasil Michev wrote:

Well if you are changing UPNs as part of the process, the clients will have to be reconfigured with the new login details (and don't forget to inform your users accordingly!). Web-based clients should continue to work just fine, but the OneDrive client, Teams and any other "standalone" clients will either prompt you for login details or will stop working until you've changed them manually.

Thank you @Vasil Michev, I'll tell my boss that I won't modify the infrastructure without doing a pilot first!

Have a good day! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rick080194 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post