Check out the new PST collection tool

MVP

Microsoft has released the successor of the PST Capture tool, named PST Collection tool. Apart from helping you with "collecting" PST files in your network, it can also "lock down" their usage. Details can be found in this article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-the-PST-Collection-tool-to-find-copy-and-delete-PST-fil...

And here's the downoad link: https://aka.ms/pstcollectiontool

22 Replies
Amazing that Microsoft still refers to AZCopy for uploading the PST files to Azure blob storage. The command-prompt-based AZCopy tool is so unreliable. "Azure storage explorer" which is referred to for viewing and verifying the uploaded files is so much more convenient for doing the entire process. I know the explorer is said to be in Preview mode, but nevertheless it handles the job much better.

I'm curious how something called PST Collection Tool, that you download as PSTCollectionTool.zip from a short urk of aka.ms/pstcollectiontool somehow ended up with an executable name of DataCollectorMaster.exe

I am getting the very helpful message "Unknown error (0x80005000)" when I try to run this tool.  Any ideas?

I've used the AzCopy method three times for different migrations.  One was for a client that had almost 1 TB of PST files via the method.  It certainly was not perfect method, but it the client was able to handle that entire process.  I will however agree that the Azure Storage Explorer makes it easier to see what's stored in your Azure blobs.  Assume you are using one of the later versions from here- http://storageexplorer.com/?

Yes, exactly that one. I try to keep it updated too.

The explorer tool is quite nice nowadays, with options to create folders for sorting the data etc.

This tool doesn't work for me. I have tried to scan computers for pst files, but I always get a portion of the results. I have 360 computers in OU, and get the result from only a few computers. 

Do you have any idea what is happening? 

When I run the tool in Find mode it only generates two files instead of the three it mentions in the deployments steps. There is no sign on the .csv file, only see the .log and .xml file. Anyone else experienced this?

Hi,
I had same situation first time. That means that pst tool doesn't find any pst file.
Which method you used for searching?

Try unc path.

Using the FQDN of the machine for testing, the output XML file shows the PST files the tool has found and says it's completed.

The tool successfully scans one location, but doesn't find any pst file.

Hi,

Set the location as \\pc-name\c$ and the .csv was generated, have around 100 machines to scan so will give the OU scan method a go to see if that generates the .csv successfully.

Thanks,

Richard

From testing, the CSV is never generated when using the OU or Machine location method. The logs do inidcate that PSTs have been found. When I use the UNC path for the c$ on the machine it does generate the CSV file.

Has anyone got the tool working by using the DN or FQDN?

I'm getting the same results.  The .csv file is generated when you use the UNC path.  DN and FQDN output files are .xml and .log file

Wonder if it is a bug in the tool, who would we contact at Microsoft about this?

No luck here either. Using UNC path (\\machinename\c$) it won't even connect successfully in FIND mode. I haven't yet been able to get csv output in any tests.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with issues. I didn't find this thread previously.

I posed my experience here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/a0b21547-8456-4b4f-b368-f4e59bb8d28f/new-...

Long story short, the tool is 100% broken.

Is there a way to do this but for OST files that are not where they should be located?
Is there a way to find OST files that are not located where they should be?

Very nice to see something current for the whole process leading up to the ship/upload step.  I see that the guide is very similar to the companion guide that has been in place (and maturing) for quite some time for the PST import service, so this is doubly great!

Can't wait to test it out.