Bypassing Exchange 2016 Content Filter for Phishing Test

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

My organization is trying to set up cybersecurity training for our staff which includes a phishing email campaign. I have configured the rules according to the provider's documentation but the test phishing emails are still getting quarantined by the content filter. We have a single Exchange 2016 server and most of the test emails are showing up in our spam mailbox with the following error message:

"Remote Server returned '550 5.2.1 Content Filter agent quarantined this message'"

I have added their IP addresses to the IP Allow List and they show up when I run Get-IPAllowListEntry.  

I have set up the three rules listed below as instructed by the training provider:

1. Bypass Spam Filtering - Sender's IP addresses same as ones listed above in IP Allow List.
    * Set the message header to this value - Set the message header 'X-Forefront-Antispam-Report' to the value 'SFV:SKI'
    * Set the spam confidence level (SCL) to - Bypass spam filtering
    * Priority = 0
    * Enforce checked

2. Bypass Focused Inbox - Sender's IP addresses same as the ones listed above in IP Allow List.
    * Set the message header to this value - Set the message header 'X-MS-Exchange-Organization-BypassFocusedInbox' to the value 'true'
    * Priority = 1
    * Enforce checked

3. Bypass Clutter - Sender's IP addresses same as the ones listed above in IP Allow List.
    * Set the message header to this value - Set the message header 'X-MS-Exchange-Organization-BypassClutter' to the value 'true'
    * Priority = 2
    * Enforce checked

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be missing? Having to manually release all of the test phishing emails for a few hundred users will get pretty tedious.  I did read that the IP Allow List might only work on an Edge Transport server.  We only have one Exchange server so would this cause a problem with the IP Allow List?

Thanks!

0 Replies