Best third party migration tool

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

I am curious after your knowledge and especially your experiences with third party tools to migrate mailboxes (and more?) from O365 to O365. 
Which tool do you like the best, and which one is the worst (if any)?

Let me know!

6 Replies

We don't recommend third-party tools here, as it quickly turns into a spam fest with representatives from the different vendors. There are several tools, look them up, check their product descriptions, etc. There are also multiple reviews/articles out there written by independent consultants, which you can trust more than the marketing fluff you'll get from most vendor's pages. 

If you care mostly about Exchange, I'd recommend sticking with a vendor that has a proven history in that space. 

@Mike Platvoet we used the Quest migration tooling to migrate mailboxes from one tenant to another. Biggest drawback is the fact that the tooling insists on global admin accounts to function. But on the other hand, it migrates Azure accounts, arranges co-existence (nice for domain off-boarding), synchronises mailbox content and can schedule the switch from source to target tenant. Together with a small tool on the computer, even Outlook is reconfigured. 

No idea about pricing...

@Rene, bit of a late reply. Does this tool cover shared mailbox migrations too?

@tjhlopezdeleon Yes it does - to the migration tool this is just an account with a mailbox... We usually create the shared mailbox in the target tenant manually and let the tool match it to the source. That way we do not have to assign a license :smile:

@tjhlopezdeleon as it was said before, there are definitely lots of tools that can be used out there! I've worked on some projects where the tool that was used was CB Exchange Server Sync and what was mentioned as a pro was the lack of admin access need and the fact that it can sync whatever mailbox A to mailbox B, including shared mailboxes!

Hi @Mike Platvoet, I understand your curiosity about the best migration tool for Exchange to Office 365 or O365 to O365. You can consider the Shoviv Exchange Server Suite as the best one, which is reliable and comes with a free trial option. 

However, there are lots of vendors that provide Office 365 and Exchange mailbox migration.

I recommend First going with a free trial and testing your small-size mailbox, then further testing your large mailbox.  If you find it works then go for a license.

Free Tip: Before the migration consider taking a backup of your O365 and Exchange mailbox for the worst scenario.