11-29-2018 09:09 AM
11-29-2018 09:09 AM
We are currently running exchange server 2010 Sp3 with Edge server on-premise. Recently we make hybrid exchange environment with Exchange online. We are planning to upgrade our on-premise exchange environment from Exchange server 2010 to Exchange server 2019 as we are keeping 60% mailboxes on-premise. What are the options to make this happen securely and safely without breaking anything.
11-29-2018 09:15 AM
Unfortunately Exchange Server 2010 and Exchange Server 2019 cannot coexist within the same Active Directory forest. Exchange Server 2019 can only coexist with Exchange Server 2013 & 2016. You will have to consider upgrading to Exchange Server 2016 and then fully decommissioning Exchange Server 2010 before Exchange Server 2019 can be introduced into the environment.
If only 40% of the users are going to be migrated to Office 365, then you may want to consider migrating those users first. This will leave you with less work to perform on-premises when you upgrade the remaining 60% of your users.
Do let me know if that wasn't helpful enough or creates additional questions or concerns. :)
11-29-2018 05:08 PM
Hi Brian, Thanks for your response.
Could you please point me some document for step-by-step instruction to Install Exchange server 2016 in our environment, move all current exchange server 2010 SP3 server roll to Exchange server 2016, completely decommission Exchange Server 2010 SP3 from current forest safely.
Here is the detail for our current exchange environment. All servers are running 2010 SP3 RU 20.
1) 2 x Mailbox Server with DAG
2) 1 x Client access & Hub Transport Server
3) 1 x Edge Transport Server
Recently we sync our on premise AD with Azure Ad and run HCW to may Hybrid exchange environment.
Thank you in advance for your help. :)
12-02-2018 08:48 AM
For your Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 migration, use the Exchange Deployment Tool assistant.
I agree with Brian you may as well migrate the 40% of mailboxes to Exchange Online to lighten your planning prior to the upgrade.
If after this investment you still want to deploy Exchange 2019 into your Exchange 2016 infrastructure follow docs.microsoft.com for planning and deploying Exchange 2019 into 2016.