Nov 19 2021 10:52 AM
Nov 19 2021 10:52 AM
This is about XLookup not working for me.
I'm using Microsoft 365 (Excel) in Windows 10 Enterprise
I am using XLookup (for the first time) in VBA for an Excel Workbook that I am modifying for work. There is no "failure". However, the lookup is not finding a match. I know that (visually) it looks like a match but XLookup does not think that the search argument and the target data match.
I am not permitted to copy the workbook here (work restrictions) so I will try to give a detailed explanation here.
1. The search argument is a value in (what I will call here) Worksheet1 (ws1).
2. The target array/range is in Worksheet2 (ws2)
3. The result array/range is in Worksheet2 (ws2)
4. The search argument is 20210800703. I'm not sure what the datatype of this search argument is. But I define a variable as a string and load the variable with the data from ws1. That seems to work.
5. The target array/range does, indeed, have a cell with value 20210800703 in it. And the column is defined as containing text data
Here is the excerpt of code:
(I am not putting the Dim statements here ... but they are in my function)
(and the indentations are not happening in this editor ... sorry about that)
set wb = This Workbook set ws1 = wb.Worksheets("InpData") set ws2 = wb.Worksheets("ProjectTable") with ws2 .Select projTableLastRow = ws2.Range("A1000000").End(xlUp).Row end with set targetRange = ws2.Range("A2:A" & projTableLastRow) set resultRange = ws2.Range("B2:B" & projTableLastRow) ws1.Select shName = ws1.Name projIdCol = GetColNbr(shName, "Project ID") categoryCol = GetColNbr(shName, "Category") projNameCol = GetColNbr(shName, "Project Name") For ix = 2 to lastRow 'pull project id from input data worksheet projId = Cells(ix, projIdCol).Value Cells(ix, projNameCol) = Application.WorksheetFunction.XLookup(projId, _ targetRange, _ resultRange, _ "Not Found") Next ix
All rows in ws1 are getting "Not Found" in the Project Name column. But the data is there in the ProjectTable tab.
So ... I'm thinking that there is an issue with the datatypes of the search argument and the target array.
So if anybody out there has an idea why XLookup is not finding a match ... I would love to hear it. Thanks.
Nov 19 2021 11:25 AM
Nov 19 2021 11:36 AM